My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Friday, August 25, 2017

How to Climb Anything

Mile Marker 5373:

I stand on the floor, fingers curled around the start holds.  Carabiners locked.  Leg locked.  

"Climbing!" I call.

And whoever's belaying me -- Sarah, or Sara, or Marian, or Jacki, or Peet, or Julia, or Carly, or Alyson, or Jake  -- calls back.

"Climb on!"

Those two small words launch me up the rock wall.

My goal this summer had nothing to do with climbing...
...and everything to do with writing.  I had planned to write a new blog post each week, submit a few articles, keep up with social media, schedule some presentations, and hey, remember that BOOK??

So how did I get from here...

...to here?


In case you missed it on Facebook, I did my first EVER climbing competition in June at USA Adaptive Climbing Nationals, where (spoiler alert!) I placed 2nd in my category, surprising everyone -- most of all, me!

But the biggest prize, by far, was making friends with so many amazing athletes.  On paper, they all have "disabilities" -- amputations, visual impairments, neurological or orthopedic challenges -- yet they're the most able-bodied group I've ever met!

They're UNSTOPPABLE-- on and off the rock wall!

If I wasn't addicted before, I am now.  Climbing is a concrete and all-consuming challenge.  When I'm on the wall, there's no space to think about anything else.  The only way to go is up.

It's not like sitting down to write -- where instead of a route to follow, I'm faced with a blank page and no clue where to go.  How do authors ever finish anything?  How do they even start?

At Mile 5,373, I hit a wall.  Not the climbing kind.  The blank page kind.

The more I climb, the better I climb.  But how can I channel that momentum toward other goals -- like writing my first blog post in two months?

Come on.  We all have walls to climb.  Maybe my struggle can give you a boost too.

Call it self-help.
Call it a pep-talk.
Call it notes from a novice climber.

Here's what I'm calling it...

How to Climb Anything (even a blank page)

1.  Get the start.  The start of a climbing route is the first move on the wall.  I grapple with starts a lot, especially if they require a tricky left foot.  I stall.  I hesitate.  I overthink.  (Prosthetist Tim calls it "analysis paralysis," and it extends to my writing too.)  Yet here's the thing:  getting the start can be a real confidence booster.   It works for any goal.  There's always a first step.  And once we take it, we're on our way.  Kinda like writing this blog post...

2.  Ask for beta.   Hang out in a rock gym, and you're likely to hear, "Can I get some beta on that one?"  For climbers, beta means information.  It's how we share suggestions and strategies with each other.  How we problem-solve on the wall.  And beta's good for any goal, even writing.  (Think blog comments -- hint, hint!)   If we ask the right people, beta can help us reach new heights!

Sharing bionic beta with a bi-ped :)

3.  Cheat past it.  When I get stuck on a climb, I CHEAT.  Yep.  I grab hold of a neighboring route and "cheat past" the problem area.  Why?  It lets me see what's next.  With any goal there's bound to be stumbling blocks (or writer's block!), but those barriers don't have to stop us.  It gets me thinking:  if a story is too hard to start, could I jump right into the middle?  I guess it's better than standing still!

Of course, you can't cheat in competition!
(Although for this move, I wished I could!) 

4.  See the finish.  No matter how high the rock wall, I know there's a finish hold waiting at the top.   (Maybe that's why I favor climbing over writing!)   Far away goals are tough to reach.  I get it.  I should visualize a complete book, cover to cover.  300 pages?  I can work with that.  Break it down.  Endpoints and endorphins -- they're not that far apart!

And finally... my favorite.

5.  Climb on.  The magic words of rock climbing.  Climb on means you're safely tied in, you're on belay, and you can start your journey.

Climb on
is a launch pad.
A kick in the pants.
Permission (and pressure) to GO FOR IT.

Gotta admit, it's a pretty good send-off.

I am not an expert climber.  My foot slips easily.  My reach lacks distance.  And my leg comes loose without warning.  I've got a lot to work on.

But when I hear the words climb on, I'm ready to face it all.

Yes, even that blank page.


A shout-out to this fabulous group, who gives me a "leg up" and keeps me climbing on! 

9 comments:

  1. Sage advice no matter how many "peds". Congrats on the 2nd place finish! Always an inspiration! (Especially given my lack of climbing skills)! Climb On!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing you take action, listening to you, reading you... gosh I guess I just plain old love knowing that you are changing the world right before my eyes!! Climb on Girl you so totally got this 😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing you take action, listening to you, reading you... gosh I guess I just plain old love knowing that you are changing the world right before my eyes!! Climb on Girl you so totally got this 😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I'm no climber, but I am a writer and all the words ring true. Climb on, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! You are also an excellent climbing instructor, from first-hand experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca, I think you already have a book here on the blog. I really was hoping to see some of my favorite entries in a book, complete with the photos. this is high-quality photo journalism! complete with video, and there is a way to get video into a book too. and till you start the new book, you could choose entries from here at random, they're all good, we never get tired of reading your comments. and seriously, your photos are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca- of all things, Alaina and I are sitting in Ocean City and just heard the "Carry On" song that you used for your five year video. This prompted me to read this recent blog post and look for that video to show her. You are a fantastic writer and I cannot think of a more qualified author to write a book. Aunt Gail is right.... you have so much excellent material from this blog to use. Alaina hopes to be as great a climber as you someday. So "Carry On" with the book. I am so proud of you even before you start:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your metaphors! So true....climbing IS like life. And I love talking to other amputee for "amputee beta" as well! ;)

    Hope we can climb together again before too long!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the ideas and such powerful votes of confidence! A little beta goes a long way, and I'm always open to more!! By the way, at Julie's suggestion, I re-watched the "Carry On" video last night just before bed, and it gave me a much needed second wind. Here's the link in case you need one too: https://youtu.be/EbZ1eam0Zbk

    Climb on everybody!

    ReplyDelete