My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

One-Way Ticket


Mile Marker 7566:

I have a new philosophy:

It's better to go than not to go.

I'm sure there's a famous quote that could express it in a catchier way, but I don't want to take the time to search for it.  At Mile 7,566, I just want to go.

Peach picking, that is.

It's not that much to ask.  A one-day trip, 35 minutes south of the city.  Even if we stop for breakfast -- which we do -- we'll be back by mid-afternoon.

I plan for the challenges.  It's hot enough to sweat out of my leg, so we leave early.  Farmland is bumpy, so I wear sneakers.  I carry water, a small towel, and plenty of leg supplies.

We arrive at Linvilla Orchards just as it's opening up.  The sun is low but already feisty.

We catch a ride into the orchard.

Surprise #1:  There are no peaches.

I mean technically there are plenty of peaches, but they aren't ready to be picked yet.

Instead, we head down the dusty road toward the plum trees.  It IS hot.  It IS bumpy.

But if I can take a photo, it's can't be too bad!

Surprise #2:  Climbing skills come in handy.

The trees lie in valleys between patches of grass, so each time I step in to grab a plum, I sink into a ditch.  The ripest plums are up where the sun shines.  I need to be taller.  So I turn my hip in toward the trees just like I turn toward the rock wall.  I push up onto my right tiptoe, fingers grazing the branches just for balance.  I can reach!

Bonus, it's shady under here!

We gather red and yellow plums and, on the way back, pristine apples too.

Summer apples?  Who knew?

Of course, our adventure wouldn't be complete without an awkward leg moment.  (No surprise there!)

Today's leg adjustment happens back at the car.

Three omelettes and one traffic jam later, we arrive home and start baking.  Mary slices up plums to make healthy oatmeal muffins.

Recipe here :)

I roll out my FIRST EVER pie crust. (Surprise #3:  It's not that difficult!)  Ellen mixes the filling:  plums, blackberries, honey, and cinnamon.  We sprinkle the top with raw sugar.  An hour later, we have a rustic blackberry-peach galette - with plums instead of peaches.

Recipe here :)

Surprise #4:  It turns out amazing.  In fact, the whole day does.

Mile Marker 7572:

That trip to the orchard comes just as my climbing friends from across the country are boarding their flights to France.  The 2019 IFSC Paraclimbing World Championships are about to begin.

Last March, I placed 3rd at Adaptive Nationals and qualified for the US Paraclimbing Team for the second year in a row.


But this year I decided not to go to Worlds.

Why?  It was scheduled for July.

I don't do well in the heat.  My body gets overheated quickly.  I feel sick and dehydrated, and I struggle to keep my prosthetic leg on.  When I checked the July temperature for Briancon, France, it looked hot.  I was afraid of the discomfort and the problems I might face.

I was afraid the challenges would outweigh the fun.

Now at Mile 7,572, I am struck with a serious case of FOMO.  Fear of missing out.  And as I scroll through my Facebook and Instagram feeds, I see I am missing out.  I wish I were there.

I wish I were part of this team!!

I've been living with a disability for 8 years now, and I don't typically regret missing out anymore.  Energy is a precious resource I've learned to conserve.  I can't do everything, and I'm OK with that.  Usually.  But not right now.

Right now, I am missing out on an adventure with my favorite people in my favorite part of the world -- largely because I was afraid of the heat.

This morning I hear it's 48 degrees in Briancon, France.  Everyone is wearing jackets.

I'm in Philly, where it's closer to 90.  I put on my team jersey from last year's Worlds in Austria.  It feels a bit foreign, but it's one small way I can support the team.


Later in the day, I show up at Prosthetic Innovations for a "leg check."  It's just a formality.  My new leg is working perfectly.

I tell Prosthetist Tim how I made the wrong decision about Worlds this year.  He nods knowingly, and then puts into words exactly what I've been feeling.

"All we get is a one-way ticket," he says.  "Gotta make the most of it."

Leg adjustments.  Attitude adjustments.

He sends me on my way!

I want to find surprises in my path.  I want to face the challenges and still have fun.  I want to spend my one-way ticket until it's dog-eared and faded like it went through the washer in the pocket of my traveling shorts.

A day trip?  A journey across the ocean?

The answer is yes.  I want to go.

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! We all make mistakes, but the only real mistakes that count are the ones we don't learn from. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! You're absolutely right, and that's a good way to look at it! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one struggling with these kinds of regrets and decisions, and it helps to know that the feeling might be universal :) Walk on!

      Delete