My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Granola for One

Mile Marker 8399:

Where are we?

Or more accurately, WHEN are we?

Oh.  Hello Saturday.

Anyone else feel like the days should be wearing name tags this week?  I wake up early this morning.  Starving.  But getting up to make breakfast means putting my leg on, so I lie there in bed for a while listening to the rain against the windows.  Thinking about what I'd like to eat.

Mmmm... Cereal.

Yes, cereal.  Cookie Crisp or Cinnamon Toast Crunch.  Something nostalgic and sugary.  I'd even settle for Alpha-Bits.

Are those still a thing?

I haven't bought cereal for a while -- at least not the good old-fashioned (a.k.a. processed) stuff.  But this morning I'm craving it.

Of course, cravings aren't so simple these days.  Last Monday, it took nearly 2 hours to wash and disinfect one order of groceries before putting it away.  When unpacking groceries becomes an exhausting part-time job... well, you don't buy on impulse.

You calculate carefully.

So while I'm not exactly sure what day it is, I am acutely aware of what's left in my kitchen:

For breakfast...
9 days of yogurt
5 oranges
4 apples
1 grapefruit
1 kiwi
And an assortment of berries that will probably last till Wednesday.

Also I'm fully stocked on fresh coffee, thanks to Old City Coffee's smart and sanitary pick-up system.

Phone in your order and
they'll leave it on a table by the door!

On this particular Saturday morning, there is absolutely no cereal in my kitchen.  At least not the 80's kind.  But...

Granola, I think.  I can make granola.

Granola is great because you can throw in pretty much anything you have on hand.  And, as I'm quickly learning, that's an important skill during a pandemic.

Last week, on Twitter, Shay Spence (@chezspence) tweeted:  "We are entering an era of unprecedented recipe substitutions."

LOL.  Is it happening in your kitchen too?

The granola recipe I use (click here for the unaltered version) makes 8 or more cups, which is a lot.  To eat on my own, anyway.

Plus I've only got one container of rolled oats.  So I'm rationing.

I start with 2 cups of oats, toss in some random raisins and a few craisins, candied ginger, almonds, the end of a bag of pecans, and some last remnants of shredded coconut.

The recipe calls for cinnamon, but I trade that in for cardamom and pumpkin pie spice.  Hey, we're in a pandemic here.

Live on the edge!

Next, I heat brown sugar, oil, and maple syrup until it bubbles on the stove.  Then add a bit of vanilla.  Pour it over the mixture.  Stick it all in the oven.

I love baking.  There's pleasure in the process and the results.  And also, usually, in sharing those results.

But baking right now?  It's different.  We're not sharing much these days.  We know the virus isn't transmitted through food, but plastic wrap, bags, and containers remain likely suspects.

I'm washing my hands a thousand times a day.  I'd like to offer out cookies, and muffins, and other baked treats.  I could fill my days with baking!  But here's the thing:  I don't want to put anyone in an uncomfortable position.  I don't want people to fear what I've made.  I don't want them to worry about germs.  And I don't want them to have to say "no." **

So for now, I'm baking up a special recipe:

Granola for One.

A half-hour later, the oven timer goes off.  And it's ready.

Perfect for a social distance breakfast on this rainy Saturday morning.  Yes, it's Saturday.

I've checked!


**Of course, if you're saying "yes" to baked goods, let me know.  I'm happy to share.  Orders include "white glove" delivery in my Clorox-clean car :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, the substitutions! Currently, if the recipe calls for anything green (kale, spinach, romaine) it is going to be cabbage! A cabbage lasts forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip, Martha! I love salad and it seems to be the hardest thing to keep in stock right now!! Hope you and your family are all well! P.S. I just gave my niece one of your books :)

      Delete
  2. Cool! Will make some for Uncle Steve! Next cereal delivery isn't til end of the week! Stay well and don't eat all your cookies by yourself! Love Aunt Patti

    ReplyDelete