My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Friday, May 29, 2020

Anywhere But Here


Arrows on the sidewalk for social distancing outside Starbucks
Mile Marker 8500: 

Do you wish you were anywhere but here?

I do.

I wish I could avoid the runners who breathe down my neck as they pass me on the sidewalk.  I wish I could see my feet, obscured by the shape of my mask, as I step off the curb.  I wish my prosthetic leg fit better, not loose and slippery from too much time sitting at home.  

On the sidewalks of my neighborhood, I imagine places I'd rather be. 

A cafe table in a French plaza
Like the French town of Draguignan
where I spent a summer before my accident.

A view of colored row houses, a river, and mountains in the background.
Or the mountains of Austria
where I climbed after it.

A holiday-lit street , wet with rain, with stores on either side.
Or the cozy streets of Copenhagen
where I walked just 6 short months ago!

But walking isn't the same these days -- even in those amazing places.  It's different for everyone.  Everywhere.

The smallest journey, a trip to the lobby mailroom or around the block, takes more planning than it used to.  More handwashing...

Family walk with mom and dad on the left, in masks.  And me on the right, in a mask with a garbage bag over my prosthetic to protect it from rain.
...and definitely more wardrobe changes. 

For me, walking isn't relaxing anymore.  It's intense and unnerving.  Especially in the city.

It reminds me of another time, years back, when everything felt too loud, too dangerous, and too much to take. 

For months after the accident, my dad drove me back and forth to physical therapy.  When trucks roared past us on the highway, I'd close my eyes and clench my teeth, bracing for impact.  Even when we idled at traffic lights, the tires of nearby trucks felt monstrous and threatening, looming outside my window.

Danger was everywhere.  And I wished I were anywhere else.

At Mile 8,500, the sidewalks feel a little bit like that -- if you replace "trucks" with "people passing by."

I want to keep walking.  I need to keep walking.  

But here is a tough place to be.


My legs crossed on a balcony chair with a salad on the table next to me.
Mile Marker 8514: 

I decide staying home is OK for now.  I have everything I need.  

I'll just stay home as long as it takes to make the world healthy again.

Besides, there are plenty of places to go... virtually.

Screen shot of a virtual museum tour with paintings along the wall and four friends from a Zoom meeting down the right side of the screen.

I "tour" a French museum with friends.  I get hooked on an RV makeover show.

The book, Hiker Trash by Sarah Kaizar
I read about the Appalachian Trail.

At Mile 8,514, I ask my friend Marla where she would go if she weren't staying home right now.  

Marla and me on a small store-lined street in Quebec.
Marla and I have traveled together.
A lot.

But she says she wouldn't go anywhere.  Nowhere far, anyway.

"The one thing I want to do most," she says, "is attend Eric's high school graduation."  In person, she means.  

Like every other high school senior, her son Eric is graduating online this year.

My friend Marla's son, Eric, standing in front of a Class of 2020 sign in the grassy front yard of his house.
Congrats Eric & the Class of 2020 --
Quarantine Strong!

That's when it occurs to me.  

Anywhere But Here doesn't mean here -- like here in Philly.  Or on my sidewalk.  Or even in my apartment.

It means here in time.   It means now.

Come on.  Wouldn't you like to turn back the clock? 

Where were you just 2 1/2 months ago?

I was in Vermont with my nieces and nephew, teaching a bunch of school kids about robot legs.

A group of elementary school students laughing, and holding prosthetic equipment, with me in the middle.
Remember school??

I'd love to go back to that time where, of course we washed our hands -- didn't you? -- but we also boarded planes, and ate at restaurants, and belayed each other on rock walls, and went to graduations, and hugged our moms.  

Wouldn't you go back there if you could?


From my balcony, a view of other apartments and the sky
Mile Marker 8555:  

To be honest, I've been feeling kind of stuck.  Here.  

Looking down on it all.

I'm back in that place where the outside world feels too loud, and too dangerous, and a bit too much to take.  When I see crowded beaches and bars -- and carefree disregard -- it's like those trucks idling too close for comfort.  It makes me uneasy with those who share the sidewalks.

To make this work, we have to do it together.  And yet, the only mind I can make up is my own.

If I'm going to be here, I have to stop wishing I'm anywhere but here.

At Mile 8,555, I strap on a mask and step out the door.  Again.  (In case you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of restarts!)

This time around, I try to look past the annoyances and threats that make me want to stay off the sidewalk.  I keep my distance.  Tell myself I'm safe.  Breathe.  Well, into my mask anyway.  

And while I'm doing all that, I challenge myself to find smallest evidence of something good.  Somewhere.  Out here.  

I expect it to be difficult, but actually it's not.  It's eye opening.  It's everywhere.  

A boarded up restaurant with a chalkboard menu of cocktails to go.
There are local businesses awakening 
after 2 months of darkness.

A row of farmers market tents with empty tables and pre-ordered bags stacked behind them.
A farmers market that's different,
but still filled with hope.

A square of soil around a tree planted with tiny marigolds.
And a mound of marigolds
growing along the curb.

It's not the first time small wonders have kept me going.  I'm pretty sure it won't be the last!  

And if I need one more sign I'm on the right path...

My reflection in a glass door that has a sign that says "Together We Will See It Through."
...I find it on the way home.

As hard as it is sometimes, we just have to be here.  Now.

But now won't last forever.  

There are better places in the miles ahead.  Or at least I choose to think so.

And when we get there -- wherever and whenever that is -- the sidewalk will be ours to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment