My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Friday, October 23, 2015

Got Helmet?

Mile Marker 3275:

Does it seem strange that I'm writing a post called "Got Helmet?" right after I let go of mine?

When a helmet gets damaged, it's best to give it up -- or as my friend Shelley taught me, turn it into a garden planter!   It's best to get a NEW ONE to protect your head.

This is my favorite photo of my old helmet.  It was taken on June 18, 2010 -- five months before my accident -- at the top of the Art Museum steps.  I was on my skates.


That helmet and I went through a lot together.  If you're a biker or a skater, I'm sure you understand.  You and your helmet have your own stories.

On Monday, November 9, I'll be celebrating my 5-year ALIVE DAY.

To commemorate this joyous and bittersweet milestone, I'm spreading awareness of the importance of wearing a bike helmet every time you ride.

Not a day goes by that I'm not grateful for that little blue and white helmet.   In an accident that injured so many parts of my body, I sustained NO HEAD INJURY at all.

I designed some t-shirts for the occasion.  I'd be honored if you'd help me spread the word...


There are long and short sleeve t-shirts, sweatshirts, and even youth sizes!  Click here to check out the shirt selection and read the story behind them.  Sales conclude Wednesday, October 28.

You can also use this link:
https://www.bonfirefunds.com/celebrating-5-years

All proceeds benefit Magee Rehabilitation's Locomotor Training Program, which helps people with brain and spinal cord injuries learn to walk again.  I have many friends from Magee who would not be walking today without this specialized therapy!

Get your shirt and then stay tuned...
The weekend before Thanksgiving, I'll be holding a BIKE HELMET BLITZ.  More info to come!

In the meantime, you'll be spreading the word about bike helmets every time you wear your t-shirt.  If we convince even one person to put on a helmet, we could make a big difference!

Thank you for 3000 miles... and so much more!

Ride safe and walk strong!
Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. I cry each time I read your post "Letting Go" (and I have read it too many times to count). It speaks to me of intensely difficult decisions, of loss and grief, of strength and courage, of the past. But in this post, at this bittersweet milestone, "get a new one" provides a message of confidence, of choice and possibility, of healing, of future. "Letting Go" is the perfect segue to "Got Helmet." As usual, you have things in exactly the right order, your thoughts are insightful and wise and touching, and you so beautifully reflect the experiences of all of us who have had to let go of a piece of our hearts and find new strength to carry on.

    ReplyDelete