My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Thursday, March 21, 2019

I'm So Excited

Mile 7200:

As spring hits, the gentle balance of life takes a nosedive.

We turn the clocks ahead.  The rain is torrential.  And the more I press the elevator button, the less happens.

Yep, the elevator is down for the count.  I live on the 3rd floor of a loft apartment building.  The ceilings are high.  The stairways are long.

My thoughts spiral downward too as I take one step at a time toward the lobby.  

I've got errands to run.  Work to get to.  Gear to carry.  Groceries to buy.  Stairs are fine once in a while, but what if this goes on and on?  What toll will it take on my body?  What if I sweat out of my prosthesis?  What if I get a socket rub?  What if I get another stress fracture in my right foot?  What if the elevator never gets fixed?!

I am a climber but also an amputee.

Stairs make me nervous.

Finally I exit onto the sidewalk and into the pouring rain.  I put up my umbrella.

Which reminds me of a different umbrella, in a different country, where I hear a different message:

"Don't say you're nervous.  Say you're excited!"

The voice rises up at the end, like a kid who can barely wait to go on a roller coaster ride.  It's the voice of Emily -- my friend and fellow Team USA Paraclimber.

We're gathered with teammates under the umbrella of an outdoor restaurant in Innsbruck, Austria.  It's the eve of qualifiers for the World Championships, so of course, we are all nervous.  Or, as Emily tells us to say, EXCITED.


We all laugh at first, but then we try it.   We're so excited!  Could changing one word really change our minds?

Surprisingly, yes.

It sends my brain down a different path, one that's moving forward instead of backing away.  One that can't wait for the challenge to begin!

The next day in the warm-up area, I repeat it over and over again.  I'm so excited!  I'm so excited!  By the time they call my name, I'm practically leaping onto the rock wall!

Now, on the rainy sidewalk, I put it to the test again, finding new rhythm with each step...

I'm so excited to take the stairs!
I can't wait to prioritize!  And strategize!
I'll work on my balance for climbing!
I'll strengthen my right leg like crazy!
It's a free gym workout!
I'm grateful to be able to do stairs at all!
Plus, taking the stairs will make a great blog post!

It works!  Here I am, returning from the supermarket later in the day...


Good thing, because at Mile 7,200, there's a lot going on.  A broken elevator is the smallest challenge on my path.  And taking the stairs gives me plenty of time to consider the bigger ones.

First, I'm getting involved in a new project, and I'm nervous about how it might impact my energy and schedule.  But -- here we go -- I'M SO EXCITED about the opportunity!  I get to follow my passion, support new amputees, and help them live a healthier lifestyle!

It's called Walk With Us
 and this little step-counter is key!
(Join in!)

Next challenge:  Would I be willing to be a team captain for my neighborhood in Battle of the Blocks this weekend?  As a very beginning boulderer, I'm flattered by the invite, but also kind of nervous.  What knowledge could I possibly bring to the team?  What skills do I have?

My first day of bouldering was just a few months ago!

Wait a minute -- scratch that -- I'M SO EXCITED!  This is a friendly competition!  I love meeting new climbers!  And I've got team spirit to spare!!

And the final challenge (so far):  The 2019 USA Climbing Adaptive National Championships.  In 7 days, I'll be traveling to Columbus, Ohio to compete with other adaptive climbers from around the country.  I'm not nervous for the competition; that's pure fun!!  But traveling puts me on edge: plane flights, hotel rooms, changes to the routine....

So let's just say, I'M SO EXCITED!  I get to spend the weekend scaling walls with some of my favorite people -- including Emily, who can remind me how excited I am!

That's Em in the middle!
(And Jess, who coaches me along too!)

In the end, it's all good stuff, but even good challenges can be stressful at times.

Finding my balance amidst the chaos is as easy as descending the stairs on a prosthetic knee.  Which is to say, not so easy at all.


But... it's always exciting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment