My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Monday, July 18, 2011

By Way of Explanation

Mile Marker 13:

At mile 13, I didn’t find myself walking under any ladders, nor across any black cats.  On the contrary, I was LUCKY enough to come across the answers to a few questions that have cropped up from friends, family, and followers over the past week!

Here goes:

Q:  How do I become a follower of this blog?  I can’t seem to log in or leave a comment.

A:  Ok, I did the “secret shopper” thing to figure this one out.  I found a few ways you can sign in and/or become a follower even if you don’t have an existing password from any of the obvious sponsors. 

The easiest way is to click JOIN THIS SITE, the very colorful rectangle in the right-hand column underneath “Walk with Me.”  When you click that rainbow-colored box, you will be prompted to sign in using your login from Google, Twitter, Yahoo, AIM, etc.  But, I get it.  You don’t have one of those – that’s the trouble.  Well, it’s really no trouble.  In tiny letters below that prompt, there’s a key sentence CREATE A NEW GOOGLE ACCOUNT.  You can use your existing e-mail address.  My advice:  Go for it!  It’s easy, quick, and doesn’t cost a penny.  It’ll be like the gift that keeps on giving!

While I was sneaking around, I also found 2 other ways to sign in.  In the top right-hand corner of your screen is a dark blue strip; on it there’s a SIGN IN prompt.  You can click on that and follow exactly the same directions as above. 

Another option is to sign in when you want to write a comment.  The COMMENT prompt is at the bottom of each post.  Simply click it, read others’ comments (if you want), and then write your own.  Again, it will ask you what system you want to use to sign in.  You have the option of creating a new Google account there also. 

Remember, 1000 miles is a lot of ground to cover.  So, leave a comment!  Conversation is always interesting and makes the time fly by!

Now that you’re all signed in, on to Question #2:

Q:  Is there a way to get notifications by e-mail?

A:  Yes, and I finally figured out how to put it on the blog!   There is now a section on the right called FOLLOW BY E-MAIL.  Enter your e-mail address, press submit, and enjoy.  I’ve tried it out, and it’s lots of fun!  (By the way, you will only get an e-mail when I update the blog.  New post, new e-mail.  No post, no e-mail!)  We’re all happy!

I hope you found these little hints helpful.  Feel free to jump in and share your own....

I’ll stick in more explanations as I stumble onto them.  Or when they cross my path!


3 comments:

  1. Yay! I figured out how to post a comment! Only I can only do it as "anonymous" right now. Attaching my name must be part of the advanced course. If you're ever in the mood for a walk in Kansas city, I'll join you! You don't mind if my three little ones come too? I've enjoyed reading your blog, so far. Marla and Tim have been keeping me up on your latest adventures...though I'm pretty sure they embellish just a tad. Keep up the good work! You're awesome!
    Molly (marla's awesomest sis in law)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricki, you're doing an amazing job with this blog. I have it bookmarked and I read it EVERY day. While YOU'RE doing the heavy lifting, I'm reading about it, thinking about you, and feeling, in that virtual way, every step. And the complexity, not just physically, of those steps. That's how good you are. Thank you for doing this. I'm sure you're being well held by the community you've gathered 'round. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete