My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Efficiency Rules

Mile Marker 8:

I’ll keep this one short. I call my friend Matt an “efficiency expert.” He does his laundry, pays his bills, cleans his garage, and catches the latest game on ESPN in the time it takes me to write a “to do” list.

During our walk last night, I was hoping some of Matt’s efficient vibes would rub off on me.

You see, my simple morning routine – showering, getting dressed, and eating breakfast – has become a multistep quagmire. For efficiency’s sake, I’ll spare you the details. Suffice to say, when I've been too absorbed in the TODAY Show, I've pulled up my jeans and forgotten my underwear!

Last night, as efficiently as ever, Matt and I passed Mile Marker 8 at exactly 8th Street! We doubled back past the supermarket so Matt could pick-up a late-night dinner. He planned to eat while watching the All-Star game. I picked up a few groceries, too. After all, Matt offered to carry the bag! I'm not an expert yet, but I'm gettin' there!

Any suggestions? All efficiency tips welcome!

Mileage so far: 8.88

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca - we're so thrilled that you've taken this on! We know that you can do it! So many people have so much to learn from you - keep on walking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your 8.88 mileage total today! Reminds me of the date of the first time that Wrigley Field turned on its lights for a night game: 8-8-88 (Aug 8, 1988)....before that it was all day games at Wrigley.) (Don't ask me why I remember random things like this!) Seeing that mileage total makes me think of alll those lights at Wrigley shining all the way on you in Philly. Walk on!
    Love that shadow pic too!

    ReplyDelete