After my abdominal surgery in November, the surgeon told my parents, “Well, she’s gonna hate me come bathing suit season!” He was referring to the long, vertical incision and the metal retention sutures that covered my middle. At that time, they were all just relieved I was going to BE HERE for bathing suit season. Back in November, we couldn't conceive of the salt air, warm sand, or bright sunshine. We couldn't imagine anything outside the fluorescent lights of the hospital.
But now….Ahhh, the exhaustion that follows a day at the beach. I can feel it in every bone in my body, and even in some that aren't!
Yesterday's walk found me in Ocean City with my best beach buddies – Rocco, Susan, and Beth (“Bosco”). We paced the Boardwalk, as close to the beach as my prosthesis would allow. Think of it this way: Laptops don’t belong on the beach; neither do microprocessor knees.
So after soaking up the hot, sunny boards without the luxury of an ocean dip, we summed up the day with this list:
Top Ten Reasons to Take My New Leg on the Ocean City Boardwalk
10. It’s not as dangerous (or as WET) as skim boarding with Rocco!
9. I'm powered by Mack and Manco Pizza. That is, until the “food coma” kicks in!
8. My pedicure looks snazzy in sandals.
7. Kids think I’m the newest Transformer.
6. I’ve got a stumble-recovery mode for downhill ramps….Good thing because there are a lot of them on the Boards!
5. There’s a charging station at 8th and the Boardwalk. Really!
2. My leg doesn’t tense up on the Ferris wheel – unlike the rest of my body.
And the Number One reason for taking my new leg for a walk on the Ocean City Boardwalk ….(drum roll please) …. SHE’S A C-LEG!!! (Hee hee…get it??)
Mile Marker 5:
Good friends, good food, good miles. No bathing suit necessary. As we reached the car, my energy flagged. Exhaustion kicked in.
Someday, we’ll be ON the beach – but that’ll require a specially-designed leg and another learning curve.
For now, I covered 5 miles in two days – the MOST I’ve ever walked in my prosthesis. Bring on the next 995. Just don’t get my leg sandy!
Mileage so far: 5.10