My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Friday, August 17, 2018

Training Camp

Mile Marker 6550:

"Don't take this the wrong way," Justen says. "You're like a puppy on the wall."

I've just finished my warm-up climb -- an easy corner route with good jugs for hands and a ton of foot holds.  Justen (a.k.a. the Climbing Sensei) has worked with many adaptive climbers, and I'm eager to hear his feedback.He says I've got energy.  Yep.  That's me.  Remember Mile 1,360 when I earned the nickname Spark Plug?


But Justen looks deeper than that.  He sees the subtleties, the style, the tiniest movements that detract from my performance.  How my head whips around as I climb.  How my eyes dart from option to option.  How I race up the wall, not because I'm organized and accurate, but because I'm worried I'll run out of steam.  All this, he observes from one easy climb.

"That intensity," he says. "We need to reign it in."   Focus it.  Control it.  Use it to my advantage.

I don't take it the wrong way -- not one word of it.  His feedback is so on target, he's describing my life off the wall too!

He tells me to slow down and try something different...

Stop.  Settle.  Breathe.


At Mile Marker 6,550, I'm in Colorado at training camp for the Paraclimbing World Championships.  (Wow, never thought I'd type that sentence!)


We are Team USA, about half of it anyway.  The other half of the team will train later this month.

At first glance, you might notice our amputations, vision impairments, neurological or orthopedic conditions.  But here's the cool thing:  we're more ALIKE than different.  Above everything else, we're climbers.  Our disabilities don't define us, they just make us work harder.

Expert coaches -- Emmett, Justen, Kris, and Sam -- guide us through one-on-one feedback, route reading strategies, warm-ups, and the rules and procedures for "Worlds" in September.


We practice getting things right, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally too.  "Perfect practice makes perfect."  In climbing terms, "flash or trash."

I take copious notes.  (That's not intense at all, right?)

We tie-in and belay each other.

Thanks for the tying tips, Trevor!

We notice each other's strengths.  I'm awed by how our visually impaired climbers use verbal cues to locate the holds.

Jess (on the ground) is "calling"
the holds as Esha climbs

We admire each other's climbing styles...

...and hairstyles :)

The next time we see each other we'll be in Austria!


Over 36 hours, we become a team, inside and outside the gym.


Late Saturday afternoon, we visit Chautauqua in Boulder.


It's 90 degrees, so I skip the hike
in favor of not sweating out of my socket!

We close the day with burgers at Southern Sun.

Yay Coach!

Go USA!

On Sunday morning, we have a "mock comp."   It's not real, but it's still jittery.

Can you feel my heart pounding??

I'm prepared and pumped.  In the qualifying round, I send one of my best climbs ever!  Click here to watch the video.


I really needed this training camp -- because recently, there have been a few bumps in the road.

At Nationals in June, I took third place in my category.  That was a good day.

Climbing was good!  Life was good!

But just 2 days after the competition, I experienced a flare up of abdominal pain, the worst I've had in more than 5 years.  Remember those days?  Yeah, me too.

I had just qualified for Worlds, and now the accident -- that original trauma -- disrupted everything.  You think you're in control?  it said. Well, you're not... I am.

The symptoms subsided, but my courage was drained.  With so much uncertainty, how could I go to Austria?  I debated whether or not to join the US Team after all.

Turns out, training camp was just what the doctor ordered.  I'd almost forgotten the bond that ties us together as a team.  We all have challenges -- both visible and invisible.  It's empowering to be with friends whose "normal" is a little different, like mine.

Hey, I'm not the only one!

Flexibility.  Strength.  Perseverance.  Determination.  Going with the flow.  Having fun.  These lessons are my biggest takeaways from training camp.  When I pack for Austria, they're going in my carry-on.

At the Denver airport, my flight back to Philly is delayed due to maintenance issues.  Our plane is towed away, and we wait for a replacement.  After a weekend of training camp, I don't even break a sweat.  Instead, I pause right there in Southwest Gate C44.

Stop.  Settle.  Breathe.

I'm honored and grateful -- and so happy! -- to be part of this amazing team and community.  What I learned at training camp will power me far beyond the top of the climbing wall.


I'm ready to take on the world.
Or at least the World Championships.


Thanks to EVO Rock + Fitness for hosting us.  Thanks to everyone for the photos.  And special thanks to Jess -- for coordinating the whole weekend, driving me everywhere, and just being your AWESOME self! 

Climb on!

1 comment: