My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Peace and Podcasts


Mile Marker 6995:

Flashback... to a flash drive.
Christmas 2010.

A present arrives in my room, Room 343, at Magee Rehabilitation Hospital.Actually, it's a huge bag -- so large and loaded it looks more like Santa's sack than an actual present.  I'm sitting in bed, and when I open that bag and peer inside, I can't even see the bottom.

It's stuffed with gifts from my entire school staff: notecards, candles, tea, cocoa, even a hot pot!  It turns out, each gift is someone's idea of COMFORT or PEACE -- themes for the holidays, but also for recovery.  At this point, it's been 7 weeks since my accident.

When I get home a week or two later, I dig deeper and discover -- at the bottom of that giant bag -- a tiny flash drive.*

*Not this actual flash drive,
but you get the idea :)

It's from my colleague, 6th grade teacher John-Carlos.

And on that flash drive is a gift that keeps on giving.

Podcasts.

I'd never heard of a podcast before -- remember this was 2010 -- but apparently John-Carlos was already a loyal listener.  When asked to contribute a "comforting" gift, he thought of his podcast collection:  This American Life, and The Moth, and Radiolab, and more.  In fact, he uploaded his entire podcast library onto a flash drive, and tossed that flash drive into the Santa bag.  For me.

Thanks John-Carlos!

Here they are on my vintage first-gen iPad
(also a gift that year!)

Maybe he knew back then what I've learned now:  how refreshing it is to simply listen.  How entertaining it is to let your mind wander.  How peaceful it can be, when your brain is cluttered with worry and noise.

In 8 years, my library has grown.  I still listen all the time.  Podcasts provide just the right mix of indulgence and escape.

I listen to By the Book while sitting in traffic.  I listen to Happier while baking in the kitchen.  I listen to Read it Forward while brushing my teeth.

A few miles ago, I was even interviewed for a podcast!

Stay tuned for the premiere of
Round the Campfire -- airing in 2019!

This month with the hustle of work, travel, shows, parties, and holiday cheer, I find myself too exhausted for shopping.  So I come up with a unique idea.

The Gift of Podcast.

(Really, I didn't come up with the idea.  I heard it on a podcast!)

It's a cross between a gift card and an experience.  There's even a website where you can print out a certificate.  Shop around.  There's truly a podcast for everyone.  And maybe -- as in my case -- what starts out as a gift, could become a gateway to more.

In case you don't know how to find podcasts,
it comes with handy instructions too!

Fast forward to Mile 6,995.
Christmas 2018.

In my little apartment, friends and family gather for brunch.  It's so much fun, I forget to take photos...

...but here's a pic of our gift pile!

Nope, we don't have a thousand gifts under the tree.  (We don't even have a tree!)  But within those little scrolls are specially-chosen podcasts for each person on my list -- hours of songs, movies, stories, music, food, interviews, quizzes, fun facts, and lots of laughs.  Plus, I'm pretty sure Santa's happy because they're much lighter than toys!

Want to know what's inside?
Here's a sneak peek at my gift list...

Mom -- StoryCorps
Dad -- Only A Game
Mark -- A Very Fatal Murder
Rocco -- Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!
Susan -- Happier with Gretchen Rubin
Jen -- By the Book
Ellen -- Southern Lady Code
Jake -- The Dinner Party Download


...and a sample!

I know.  I'm a little late.  I should have published this post before the holidays.

But here's the thing -- this deal never expires.  Podcasts are always on sale.  Actually, they're free!!

So in the midst of the holiday hustle, find PEACE -- and podcasts -- this year.  Don't forget to pick up one for yourself too!

Happy Holidays!  Happy Listening!

(And hey, got any recommendations for me?)

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... true crime is my jam, Rebecca - I just don't see you delving into any of the true crime podcasts I've indulged in last year (LOL). I have also enjoyed Wait, Wait, and The Moth is a fave too. Happy New Year to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cele, Thanks!! I love listening, so I'll try anything once! You might like the podcast I "gave" to my brother: A Very Fatal Murder. It's "true crime" by The Onion :) I haven't listened to it yet, but it got great reviews! Happy new year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cele, Thanks!! I love listening, so I'll try anything once! You might like the podcast I "gave" to my brother: A Very Fatal Murder. It's "true crime" by The Onion :) I haven't listened to it yet, but it got great reviews! Happy new year to you too!

    ReplyDelete