My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Bless Your Breath

Mile Marker 8425:

I'll cut right to the chase.

WEAR A MASK.

It's 8:05 AM, and I've just returned from a 1.6 mile walk.  But instead of feeling energized and ready for the day, I am simmering with anger.

Here's why... 
 I go out early.  
Stick to less traveled sidewalks.  
Step to the side when I see someone coming.  
Wear a mask.

Yet on this short walk I was passed -- in close range -- by at least a dozen individual runners NOT wearing masks.  That's 12 people moving their bodies, open-mouthed and breathing heavily, shedding droplets of sweat and breath in their wake.  If that sounds unsanitary to you, that's exactly how it felt to share their sidewalk.

These people are out for their own good health, right?  But what about the health of others?

What about ME?

I never claimed to be a trendsetter.  Even last week, when my neighbor Dawn generously offered to leave a disposable mask outside my door, I told her I didn't need one.  (She left some anyway.)

When my mom told me Aunt Robin had sewn me a homemade mask, I rolled my eyes.  (She gave it to me anyway.)

Everyone is over-reacting, 
I told myself.  I refuse to give in to this panic.

Later that week, when the Governor of Pennsylvania and the CDC recommended the use of masks for people leaving their homes, I stayed inside for 4 days.  FOUR DAYS.  Because whenever I looked out my windows, I barely saw anyone wearing a mask.

And I didn't want to be the only one.

But after a while, I got cagey.  My apartment was closing in.  My prosthetic leg was getting loose.  I needed some exercise.

And so... I wore a mask.

It felt weird at first.  Hot.  A bit suffocating.  But I survived.

This was Day 1.

It gets easier.

We are all vulnerable.  We should all take responsibility.

What's that you say?

Can't run with a mask?  Guess again.  Look at Donna and Mike.  Between the two of them, they represent the South Philly Striders and the Fishtown Beer Runners, two major running clubs in Philly.

If they can do it, you can too!

Don't have a mask?  Make one.  My sister Sam fashioned hers out of a clean sock and a paper towel.

It's colorful too!

Learn how to make your own sock mask here!

Go ahead.  Google it.  There are so many simple methods using items you already have around the house, you won't believe it.  Click here for a few more.

I get it.  You feel healthy.  So do I.  But people who feel healthy can spread the virus too.

One of the hardest things (for me, anyway) is feeling utterly powerless in this fight against COVID-19.  While I'm grateful for my health, I'm anxious and frustrated.  Fearful of what's to come.  It doesn't seem like enough to just "stay at home" while other people -- people I love -- are risking their lives on the front lines.  Every day, I wish I could do more.

But at Mile 8,425, it occurs to me.  I'm not powerless.  I can do something to decrease the spread of the virus.  I am doing something.

I am protecting my family and friends.  I am protecting the people we NEED: the healthcare providers, first responders, mail carriers, delivery drivers, Instacart shoppers, and many more.  I am protecting my neighbors.

I am even protecting those runners.

What if someone you knew was going to get sick, but you could do something to stop it?

You can.

Bless your breath.

We need each other -- now more than ever.

WEAR A MASK.

Here's to a healthy journey ahead.
Please breathe safely.
xo

1 comment: