My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Thursday, May 6, 2021

Have Heroes

The glass bridge from the outside of the hospital, bearing the words "Alone you are strong.  Together we are stronger," in rainbow colors.

Long awaited greetings from Mile 9,449...

Ever have a moment where you just don't have the words?

Or possibly, a year??

At Mile 9,449, I take my first steps inside Jefferson Hospital since before the pandemic began...
There I meet up with Nurse Deb. 

Well, she used to be my nurse.  And technically, she still steps in when necessary.

But after 10 years we know each other so well, we're more like sisters.

A selfie of me and Deb, wearing masks.
This is our first walk together in 14 months!


Next stop:  Roxanne.   

If supporting families during a pandemic weren't enough, Roxanne took it upon herself to care for A Thousand Miles Healing Garden while I was away.  

You've heard of guardian angels?

Roxanne wearing a mask and green shirt, standing behind the fairy garden.
Roxanne is a "garden" angel!


In these hallways, I feel like THANKING everyone I see.  

But really, there aren't enough words.

We head down to 7 Center, the unit where Deb works everyday, and where -- for a while -- I was a frequent flyer

I spent some dark days here.  But nothing can compare to the care and compassion I received.  

On the first anniversary of my accident, the nurses organized a walk to celebrate my recovery.

A group photo of me with my medical team and family, standing on the hospital steps, holding signs that says "Mile 160."
That was Mile 160.
(Click here for a video of that day.)

Years have passed since then.  

Today, many nurses here know me only for my cookies

(And I'm fine with that!)

Three nurses, Deb in center, holding cookies.
Still, what a joy it is to say "thank you" in person!


Mile 9,449 goes by fast.  

Everyone's got work to do.  This hospital keeps going.  Always.

On my way out, I pause to peer into the hospital atrium.

A view of the hospital atrium, a rectangular area of windows with a banner that says "Thomas Jefferson University Hospital."

My old room, 7206 -- the one I was in the longest -- had this same view.  

Back then, I couldn't get out of bed to look out the window.  All I could see was the muted winter sky.

Now I look up.  Look down.  

Scan the rows and rows of windows, each one a glimpse into another patient's room. 

It's like an X-ray of the hospital's insides. 

Multiply my story by hundreds.  By thousands.

By a global pandemic.

The HEROES HERE make those stories possible.

In these windows are their words...

A hospital window that says, "Tough times don't last.  Tough people do!"
Tough times don't last.  Tough people do!

A hospital window that says, "It always seems impossible until it's done."
It always seems impossible until it's done.

A hospital window that says, "Shine bright.  The world needs your light."
Shine bright.  The world needs your light.

Mile 9,449 was 3 weeks ago.  That's how long it's taken me to write this "postcard."

I could blame the post office, but really, I just couldn't explain how it feels.

Being here.
Being back.
Being grateful.

As I step onto the elevator, one more window catches my eye.

"That one's from our team,"  Deb says,  "7 Center."

I should have known...

A hospital window with colored hearts that says, "Where there's heart, there's hope."

Have heart.  Have hope.  

Have heroes.

Walk on!
Rebecca

P.S.  If you need an extra dose of resilience, check out I'll Stand By You, a video by some very talented Jefferson physicians -- which features many more heroes.  (Cookie Medic even got a cameo!)

No comments:

Post a Comment