My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Perhaps... Paris

Bonjour from Mile 12,062!

A café table in Philly - with my red journal, plastic containers of tomato soup and a sandwich, and a silver water bottle.
Perhaps I'm in Paris...

Sure, I'm eating out of plastic containers, but I'm using real silverware!

Plus, the pesto is homemade, and I'm pretty sure the gazpacho is puréed with local tomatoes. 

Normally I'd just grab takeout.  But I'm determined to keep up the Paris vibe, which includes taking time out -- to eat, breathe, and write.

I open my pocket journal, which I found in a bin at Cést Deux Euros, the Parisian equivalent of a dollar store.

In the spirit of Paris, I start "perhapsing." 

Perhapsing is a technique I learned in my travel memoir class --  a method of filling in sketchy details and unknowns with our own speculations.  It's entirely "legal," as long as I tell you I'm perhapsing.  

So, I am. :)

It was one of my favorite exercises of the week.

Picture this:  One afternoon in the Jardin du Palais Royal, a blur of pink catches my eye.

A young girl in a pink sweat jacket, jumping off a pillar in the Jardin du Palais Royale.
At first, she's just a dramatic photo from afar!

But then I move in.  Park myself on a pillar nearby.

(Far enough to be discreet, close enough to be within earshot.)

She and her parents are positioned in the shape of a scalene triangle.  

Mom is closer to her, more engaged.  
Dad sits farther back, on his phone.

They're speaking in Spanish (I think), so perhapsing is my only option.  I observe -- and put the clues together.

"Mommy, watch!"

"One!" Cartwheel.  
"Two!" Cartwheel.  
"Three!" Cartwheel.

She cascades across the courtyard.  Mom laughs.

Dad looks up.  Smiles.  Goes back to his phone.

She scrambles onto a pillar, pink sweatshirt flapping behind.  

Mom poises her camera.

The girl shoots a peace sign.
Puts her hands on her hips.
Strikes a disco move -- Travolta-like -- pointing to the sky.

Mom snaps, and snaps, and snaps.

Dad looks up.  Smiles.  Goes back to his phone.

Mother and daughter huddle together -- a curtain of long hair -- as Mom flips through the photos.

Then the girl skips to her father.  Pokes her head between his face and his phone.

"Daddy, did you take a photo?"

He looks up.  Smiles.  Pecks her on the cheek.

I scribble in my journal so I won't forget this moment and this place, this perhapsed dialogue, and all the details I've perhapsed about this family.

It's just an exercise, but it's opened up a world to me.

A building and metal bubble-like sculpture in the Jardin du Palais Royale.
Au revoir, Palais Royal!

At Mile 12,062, I'm back in Philly -- and a world away.

The couple next to me is discussing Scandinavian cake, with a plastic bag of peanuts sitting between them on the table.  

It's odd on both counts.  

We're at Talula's Daily, which serves neither Scandinavian cake nor peanuts.

I listen in -- and start perhapsing.  (Perhaps the man's name is Herb...)

"I'm thinking of a simple dessert, like a Scandinavian cake," his wife says.

Herb nods, nudging the bag of peanuts with his finger.  

"Well, what do you think of that?"

He pauses.  "I just don't think you have to try so hard."

"She's young.  She's having health problems."

"So?"

"So a Scandinavian cake isn't hard.  You can just serve it with some light cream or lemon.  She used to work at the hospital, you know."

Herb touches the knot on the bag.  He wants to open it, but now that she's shifted from cake to health problems, he isn't sure.  

"You mind?" he says.

She sighs.  "Whatever you want.  I'm very agreeable today."

Perhaps they're going to visit their daughter's friend, the one with health problems.  Perhaps their own daughter is traveling (perhaps in Paris!), and perhaps they feel guilty about that.  Perhaps Herb is missing the Phillies game, and the peanuts are as close as he can get. 

For perhaps a half hour, I am transported from this table in Philly to a graceful café in the center of Paris.

My lovely lunch at the Royal Opera Café - a salad with roasted potatoes, tomatoes, and walnuts, topped with goat cheese crepes.  Behind my plate is a red wine bottle filled with water and a glass of apricot juice.  Two bicycles are parked by the street beyond the table.
It's a good place to be.

I look up from my journal.

It's unseasonably cool for Philly, with a mask of clouds and a breeze that feels like rain.  

Perhaps I've brought this weather back from Paris.  

I get up to leave.  

Then, in a unwelcome burst of reality, my leg bumps the chair -- metal on metal -- and my elbow knocks the fork handle, the one that's balanced on the edge of the plastic container.  

And the whole thing -- sandwich and all -- nearly catapults to the ground.  

By some miracle, I catch it.

I'm not graceful, and this isn't Paris...

I'm standing on a concrete pillar in the Jardin du Palais Royale in a black dress and red jacket, with a palatial buiding and the French flag behind me.

Perhaps... I'm still me. :)

Walk on,
Rebecca

9 comments:

  1. You did perhapsing when we went to the PMA and composed that lovely piece about the two sisters looking at a painting. You are a natural! :-) Mônica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mônica, Yes I did -- before I even knew what it was called. Thanks for reading. We need to do more of that together!!

      Delete
  2. Well done Rebecca! Joe and Kedt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe and Kedi! Thanks for reading! Meant to tell you I've been listening to the "About Abroad" podcast and quickly becoming a fan. Miss you guys! :)

      Delete
  3. This is great, well done. I had a friend who would go to diners and write down everything he could hear people say. Then he'd create stories and poems from the dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! I imagine diners are a great place to "perhaps" and collect dialogue! Thanks for reading, Jarad!

      Delete
    2. This is amazing. I am so pleased to make your acquaintance, Rebecca! Reading travel blogs is the only social media I do and I never realized I would make personal connections from them. So happy I have and I can’t wait to see your “perhapsings” about the tickets. Merci, merci!

      Delete