My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Friday, August 16, 2024

Buongiorno et bon matin...

...from the Italian Market!

Yes, I know that's a language mashup, but that's where I am.  

Qui. Maintenant.  Here. Now.

My hand holding a paper cup of coffee with a sidewalk of the Italian Market in the foreground.  The overhang scaffolding has colored paper flags hanging.
Mile 12,615 =  Kilomètre 20,302

I'm gearing up for travel.

In just two weeks, I leave for Paris -- yes, Paris! -- to join travel writer Rolf Potts, and a whole new group of classmates for the advanced version of the travel memoir class I took there last summer.  I can't wait!

So I'd better brush up on my writing -- and walking.

Here at home, my little red car, "Happy," has just passed her 10,000th mile.

To celebrate, and sneak in some walking/writing, we drive down to our old favorite, Gleaner's, for a coffee and stroll through the Italian Market. 

The smell of baking bread leads the way.  
It fades into roasted coffee,
sugared dough,
melted tar, 
and garbage juice, spilled from a leaky bag.


A graffitied mural along the Italian Market sidewalk, with poles painted bright pink.


In the first three blocks, I hear four languages:  Spanish, Italian, Cambodian (I think), and Greek. 
  

A "Do Not Enter" street sign, where someone has glued sticker letters that read "HAMBURGLER" in the center.
And this one??

It's barely 7:30.  The sun is still low.  The sidewalks are shady.  The breeze feels uncommonly cool.

I pass a bookstore, not yet open, with boxes stacked outside.  A scribbled sign says FREE.  The middle box sags with paperbacks of The Babysitter's Club, piled high like a mound of rainbow jimmies.  (Or "sprinkles" for you out-of-towners.) 

When I reach Passyunk (say "Pash-yunk"), a cheesesteak truck is parked inside an overgrown community garden.  

A red "Pat's - King of Steaks" truck parked inside the black iron gate of a community garden.  There is a mural of fruit on the wall in the background, and the word  "Passyunk."
Pretty much Philly in a nutshell.

I turn onto a narrow street of rowhomes.  

A mirrored chrome railing reminds me of an 80's rollerskating rink.  A toddler's kitchen playset sits atop a metal grate.  How many toys (and shoes) have been dropped through those cracks?

It's a good leg day so far.  

On days like this, I feel like I could walk miles.  But I know better.  

The sun is getting higher.  
My prosthetic's getting looser.  

While I'm comfortable, like now, my feet and mind can wander.  But it's early yet.  

I need to save energy -- and precious leg time -- for the rest of the day.

So I turn up 7th, back toward the car.  

This patch of road used to be part of my bike route to work.  I pedaled through here every morning for years.  

I knew where cars rolled through the 4-way stop.  I knew where every pothole was.  

It looks different now. 

A painted mural of two girls playing on playground with words that read, "Near this place, two sisters lived, and they were inseparable."
Smoother.  Brighter.

I almost don't recognize it.

But then, come the bikers.  

They whisper by in clusters, two and three at a time, helmets strapped, backpacks bouncing behind them in crates and saddlebags.  

7th Street, I realize, has become a bike superhighway.  

It feels good to walk among them.

When I arrive back at the car, my coffee cup is empty, but my notebook is full. 

My red Hyundai Venue (mini-SUV) parked in front of a mural of trees, with me holding a coffee cup in the foreground.
And I'm happy to be here.

Walk on,
Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca, reading this made me super homesick for Philly! I love it out here but Philly was home for so long and has such character like no other place! Mat took Oscar, who now is 8(!!!} to Paris during spring break. Oscar wanted to see the Mona Lisa. They went to the Louvre and many other places. Traveling creates wonderful memories- pictures capture some but writing captures so much more! Walk on & Write on! Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent vignette of early morning :)

    ReplyDelete