My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Saturday, September 1, 2018

10 Books That Made A Difference

Mile Marker 6660:

Do you love books?

Yeah, me too. I love escaping into the pages.  I love seeing my friends' reading lists. I love knowing that, as many books as I've read, there are always more out there.

I love bookstores too --
 independent ones like Head House Books!

Books have gotten me through some tough times, especially in the last few years.  So that sparked an idea -- and a list -- of my own.

These aren’t necessarily my favorite books of all time.  Let's just say they’re the ones I came to count on through the last 7 years, 9 months, and 23 days -- the time since the accident.  

These are the books that had an impact on my recovery, or shaped my perspective, or helped me figure out who I was (the second time around!).  These are the books that helped me survive.

 I call this list...

10 Books That Made A Difference

1.  Glee, First Season.  Wait, that's not a book!  Good eye.  In my first weeks as a trauma patient, I couldn't read at all.  The physical and emotional struggle was so overpowering, I couldn't even focus on a book.  Enter my brother Mark, with a miraculous mini-DVD player.  Seven discs of Glee?  You betcha.  I had that 4-inch screen propped on my bed sheets at all hours of the day and night.  With the Glee kids for company, I learned Survival Lesson #1:  Distraction is everything!

OK.  Now on to books...


2.  Mr. Eaves and His Magic Camera by Farrell Eaves.  Each day when my parents came to visit, they'd bring cards and packages from our home mailbox.  This little book arrived in one of those envelopes, a gift from my sister's in-laws, Alan and Consuelo.  Inside I discovered unique photos taken with a camera that was hurt -- like I was.  I poured over those pictures, and they filled me with wonder and perspective.  (Four years and 2,127 miles later, my own "magic camera" inspired a blog post.)  Mr. Eaves and His Magic Camera now lives in a prominent place above my desk -- and in my heart.  Survival Lesson #2:  It's not what you see, it's how you see it.

3.  House Rules by Jodi Picoult.  After the accident, I returned to the hospital 6 more times for abdominal complications.  (Here's a recap of one of them.)  With an NG tube running from my nostril to my stomach, it was uncomfortable to talk, walk, or even look up at the wall-mounted TV in the hospital room.  The only thing to do was keep my head down and read.  House Rules carried me through one of those hospitalizations.  It absorbed me through 5 long days with an NG tube, and that's quite a feat.  Survival Lesson #3:  Time will pass.  Keep turning pages.


4.  The Girl with No Shadow by Joanne Harris.   Home again, I found this one on my mom's bookshelf, and curled up with it as I healed from my latest abdominal surgery.  When I couldn't leave the couch, this book let me travel.  When I couldn't stomach more than a few bites, it made me crave chocolat.   France had been part of my life before the accident, and The Girl with No Shadow made me believe it would still be there -- waiting for me to return.   Many miles later in the journey, it was.  Survival Lesson #4:  Reading is the next best thing to being there.

5.  The Last Summer at Chelsea Beach by Pam Jenoff.   At a follow-up appointment with my surgeon, I casually mentioned I was an aspiring writer.  "Oh really?" he said, tugging out my abdominal sutures.  "My sister is an author!"  Well, that kicked off a Pam Jenoff read-a-thon.  My favorite, The Last Summer at Chelsea Beach, is set in the 1940's in two places I love -- South Philly and the Jersey Shore.

And bonus, I have an autographed copy!

Survival Lesson #5:  Books build connections, and connections make us feel like family.


6.  Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.  When I finally took my first steps on a prosthesis, my mom presented me with this book.  I started reading, more fascinated with every page.  After so much emotional upheaval, the research in Outliers appealed to my logical side.  As Mom pointed out, I had an "edge" and "opportunity."   All I needed was 10,000 hours of practice!

By my calculations, that happened around Mile, 5000!

Survival Lesson #6:  Practice makes perfect.


7.  The Long Run by Matt Long.  Early in my prosthetic training, PT Julie loaned me her copy of this book.   I read it over and over again, and then I bought copies to share with family and friends.  Everyone needed to read this book!!   At Mile 288, Matt's I WILL energy spurred a blog post.  At Mile 940, I followed his footsteps in Manhattan.  To this day, whenever I need an extra push, I channel Matt Long's strength and spirit.  Survival Lesson #7:  Find a role-model.

8.  The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg.  I re-read this book whenever I get the urge to drop everything and take off (which is frequently!).  It's about a woman dealing with endings, so she packs up her car to give herself a new beginning.  So simple, redeeming, and satisfying.  She runs away so I don't have to!  Survival Lesson #8:  Escape into the pages.

9.  Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.  If it comes down to survival of the fittest, I'm pretty much a lost cause -- especially if the electricity goes out.  (Really, I worry about these things!)  Station Eleven is a clever glimpse into the not-so-distant-future.  Think apocalypse.  Think Shakespeare.  (Curious yet?)  Survival Lesson #9:  Things could be worse.  But when they are, humanity and hope will somehow find a way.

10.  Survival Lessons by Alice Hoffman.  Yep, its title sums up the entire list.  This tiny book is a shiny gem.  I open it whenever I need encouragement.  I turn the pages and it speaks to me.  Alice Hoffman's journey is different from mine, but I trust her.  She gets it.

I do what she says.

As painful as trauma is, it's a chapter in my story.   I want to remember it. 

Maybe my readings (and writings) will make a difference for you too.  If you've got suggestions, send them my way!  I'm already gathering titles for the days ahead. 

So many books, so little time.

Survival Lesson #10:  Read on!


A shout-out to my friends who are authors... You, too, inspire me to READ AND WRITE ON.  That's a list for another time, but you know who you are!  (And if you're not quite sure, check the photo at the top!)

4 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks J! You too. And thanks for walking with me from the very beginning xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good book is healing in so many ways! Thanks for sharing your list (and for the shout out in the first photo!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wend! I have 2 copies of Zenn Diagram - one to loan out and one to keep on my shelf! Having it there is a reminder to keep writing!!

      Delete