My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Follow Me to Austria!


Mile Marker 6625:

Ready for take-off...

It sounds surreal when I say I'll be competing for Team USA in the Paraclimbing World Championships, but it's happening!!

Here's some info if you want to play along...I'm scheduled to climb in Qualifying on Tuesday, September 11 beginning at 6 PM, Austria time.  Finals will be on Thursday, September 13 beginning at 7 PM, Austria time.  The closing ceremonies will be on Sunday, September 16, beginning at 6 PM.  Other paraclimbing categories compete from Tuesday through Saturday, so be sure to check those out too!  Click here for the full event schedule.

The IFSC will be streaming some events live on their Youtube channel.  You can check them out here!

If you want to follow on your phone, there's a free app available through the iPhone app store and Google Play.  Search for "Innsbruck2018."  Once you download the app, click "Paraclimbing."  If you're looking for me, my category is W-AL2 (women leg amputees).  Rankings will be updated as the comp progresses!

You can also follow @my1000miles on Facebook and Instagram!

Mile 6,625 is a pretty cool place to be, but I didn't get here on my own.  So if you're reading this post, THANK YOU for walking, and climbing, and traveling with me!

Here's to...

My team at Jefferson  (Yep, it always comes back to you!)

My team at Magee...

... for getting me back on my feet!

My team at Prosthetic Innovations
(for leg and attitude adjustments!)

My Sunday morning climbing pals!

The crew at Go Vertical
(including rock-star coach Michael!)

My family and friends...

for, well, EVERYTHING!

And my long-time BFF Marla,
for saying yes to a girls' weekend that turned into
a 10-day trip to Austria!

Thanks everybody!

Whatever the score shows in Austria, I know I've already won.

Climb on!

P.S.  Superpower chalk bag from my best roomie ever, Keats, and her current roomie (who happens to be a climber) Kasia!

2 comments: