My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Monday, March 29, 2021

I'm Starting Again... Again! (How about you?)

Mile 9385:  

How do we move forward in uncertain times?

Yep, it's time to venture out again.

Mask?  Check.
Hand sanitizer?  Check.
Walking buddy?  Check.

At least, some things haven't changed... 

...I'll still walk for coffee!

Jen and I go way back, yet it's been a while since we've seen each other in person.  So what's a little rain between friends?

When I was hospitalized after the accident, Jen carved a bushel of pumpkins just to make me feel better!

She's a photographer too.  Rainbow calls her "Sparkle." :)

She finds beauty everywhere.  And snaps it!

This South Philly neighborhood is a patchwork of old and new.  It's where I used to live and where I started walking again. 

Over a decade, it's changed a bit.  

Herman's Coffee used to be an empty lot.  
My old house has a new bike parked out front.  
My feet know every pothole, every mailbox, every curb.  

Yet today, it's all looks shinier -- like it has a fresh coat of paint.

Let's face it.  Who couldn't use a fresh coat of paint right now? 

I've been thinking a lot about first steps lately.  Seems like each day is full of them.  

Going back to work in a hospital.  
Venturing into stores, in real life.
Expanding my "pod" ever so slightly.
  
Each step pushes at the edges of my comfort zone.  Maybe you feel that push too?

How do we move forward when we're not quite sure what the future holds?  

Mile 9,385 seems like good place to start again... again!

Stay tuned for a 10-Year Relaunch  -- and a brand new challenge ahead.

(The blog's got a new coat of paint too!)

Come along.  You know the drill.  

One step at a time.


Walk with me!

9 comments:

  1. You are glowing in those pics...you've got a fresh coat too!! Can't wait to hear what is next! Huuuug 🥰

    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back, Anna!! And thank you! Hope all is healthy and well in your world! :) xo

      Delete
  2. I'll be along always. ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be along always. ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, as always, for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and always being there for me (even from a distance) along the way! Old friends are the best!

      Delete
  5. fresh coats of paint, finding sparkling beauty everywhere... you're on the right track :) even without an intense winter in SF I'm feeling the hopeful rejuvenation of spring.
    --Sarah J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see some of that spring rejuvenation in SF! Thanks for chiming in :) Miss you!

      Delete