My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Walk Until Your Day Becomes Interesting

Mile Marker 9393:

What's interesting about your walk?

Ok, go.

Got nothing?  

Nope.  Me either...

After a year of circling the same city block, it feels like I'm on a treadmill.  If a treadmill had cobblestones and coffee shops.

Not that I'm complaining.  More than anything, I'm thankful to be healthy and safe, even if it means staying home for now.

After my amputation, I worked hard to become a good traveler again.  (Starting way back at Mile 132!)

These days, I miss traveling -- and the surprises that happen along the way.

Like discovering a scenic spot to adjust my leg...

Or hiking up 145 steps just for the view...

Or hanging with climbers from around the world!

Traveling as an amputee isn't always easy.

But it's always interesting!


Today as I head out the door, I've got a line bouncing around my brain:

Walk until your day becomes interesting.

It's a quote from adventurer and travel writer Rolf Potts.  (He wrote the book Vagabonding and hosts a podcast called Deviate - both good remedies if you're feeling stuck at home!)

That's where my mind is at Mile 9,393 -- when I veer off route.

Instead of down Arch Street, I head north under the shadow of the Ben Franklin Bridge.  A train screeches overhead.  My heart jolts, and then settles.  It's just the PATCO line.  I've been this way before.  Really, I'm less than 4 blocks from home.

And yet, I spy something in the distance.  

A splash of color that's not usually there.

My day just became interesting.

I walk another city block.  Zoom in closer.

Wend my way along the path. 

 
I marvel at this narrow stretch of spring that has somehow popped up between downtown Philly and the Vine Street Expressway.

It's refreshing.  Like a mini-vacation from my usual route!

City blooms aren't your thing?   No worries.  

Three blocks west is Chinatown.  Five blocks east is the Delaware River.  Across the bridge is New Jersey, and who can resist that? (LOL)

You get the idea.

The best thing about "interesting" is that we all see it differently.  


April is Limb Loss Awareness Month.  

A time to be grateful for each step.  No matter where I walk.

So as we turn the calendar...

Here's the challenge:

30 walks.
In 30 days.
With 30 travel companions.  (Masked or virtual - pandemic style!)

And I'll write 30 postcards along the way.  Get it, post cards?

You can find them here -- or sign up for email delivery.

Like a good traveler, I'll keep the notes short and the adventures sweet.

I don't know what'll happen or where we'll end up.

But I'm sure it'll be interesting!


P.S. Want to be part of the challenge??
Leave a comment or contact me!

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Debbie, I'd love to visit your Chicago neighborhood - virtually! (Hopefully the snow has melted by now!) I'll message you :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. We need to do a long distance walk! (Not as good as a girls' weekend, but one step at a time!) xoxo

      Delete
  3. Let's walk together, my traveling, walking friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything to travel again with you! I think I can take Zoom on the road :)

      Delete
  4. Not sure I can do 30 days in a row, but the Morgans will be hiking the Grand Canyon and vicinity this week! Hoping for good leg mojo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you the best leg mojo!! If you had connectivity, I'd say I'd join you virtually, but I'll settle for a walk around your Wisconsin neighborhood when you get back :)

      Delete
  5. What a fun idea! I need this for myself and would love to book a walk with you. Can I bring my dog? We can let him pick the route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dog-directed routes are always welcome :) Would love to catch up. It's been a few thousand miles since we've walked together!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Of course you are!!! We do so many unofficial walks, we have to make one official! xo Bex

      Delete
  7. Come to the burbs ...I would love to book a walk...and I’m fully vaccinated! This is so darn clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm there every weekend! And I know who else (also vaccinated) might come along! We "Rebeccas" have to stick together. Let's book a date :)

      Delete
  8. My walk is fairly short, and not many masks, but you're always welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would love to walk (virtually) with you!!!

    ReplyDelete