My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Friday, April 2, 2021

Plant an Idea

Greetings from Mile 9400 --

Where ideas take root in Washington Square!

Mônica and I always walk the same route.  

Fewer decisions about streets and sidewalks leaves space for other things - like talking about her children's books or my November novel, or even this next step on the blog...

At Mile 9,400, Mônica unknowingly becomes my first travel companion for the latest "leg" of the journey.  I surprise her with the news.

Of course, she's happy to join in.

We aren't co-authors or collaborators.  We don't contribute to each other's projects.

We simply believe in the promise of ideas.

Creativity takes practice and process, so it's essential to nurture it along the way.  Mônica helps me remember that.

You know that Chinese proverb:

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The second best time is now.

Most of us spend a lot of time not planting the projects we dream of.  (I'm guilty too!)  But if we don't start now, then when?  

Do you have the seed of an idea?   

Go ahead...

Plant it.  
Talk about it.
Walk about it.

Then -- wherever you happen to find yourself -- watch it grow.

(Creativity partner optional, but highly recommended!)

Walk on,
Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. This is so inspiring and as usual a cool idea. Creativity is the best! And, not that you need a different career, but your next one: life coach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for the compliment! Will definitely keep that in mind, although often it feels like coaching myself is a full-time job! LOL! :)

      Delete