My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Saturday, April 10, 2021

B.Y.O. Sunshine

Hi from Mile Marker 9,432...

where it's always sunny in Philadelphia!

Well, today it's overcast.  

But no worries...

Look who I've got on video chat:

Felicia!
Do you have a friend who brings her own sunshine?

Felicia is THAT person.

If you need more evidence...

...just look at her newest art piece!

At Mile 9,432, it's late afternoon -- not the best "leg time" for me -- so I give Felicia the most local of all local tours.

A walk around the block.

Lucky for me, she's happy to come along.

We go by Paddy's Pub on Race Street, inspiration for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Although neither of us has seen the TV show!

We cruise the cobblestones of Elfreth's Alley. 

(Virtually, anyway!)

This is my second video chat + walk.  

Ever.  

I'm still not the smoothest driver.  

When my prosthetic toe catches on a loose brick, Felicia says, "Yeah, cobblestones trip me up, too." 

If you want to look on the bright side, 
there's no better traveling companion!

I ask Felicia how she always stays so sunny.  This is what she says:

"Health is the most important thing.  As long as I have that, I can be happy."

That's right.  

Wise words for a cloudy day in Philly.  

Rain or shine, I couldn't agree more!

Walk on!
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment