My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Sunday, April 4, 2021

Tour Your Old Block

Hi from Mile Marker 9410...

... my old stomping grounds!

(Back when I could actually stomp!)

I'd say it's been a while, but really it hasn't...During the pandemic, I've walked this neighborhood every weekend with Mom and Dad.  It's helped us feel close.

From a safe social distance.

I grew up in this house.  Our family has lived here more than 40 years.

We built this city!

Growing up, our next-door neighbors were Josh and Katie, and their parents, Becca and Bruce.  

We slammed each other's screen doors as if they were our own.  We swung on swing sets, went trick-or-treating together, and spent summer nights playing hide-and-go-seek "all-around-the-block."   

When we were brave, we skated down the steepest hill we could imagine.

I swear it was BIGGER back then!

Of course, we had our share of friendly squabbles, scraped knees, and knocked-out teeth.  

(Bruce was a dentist, so that helped a bit!)

It was the best neighborhood -- and childhood -- I could have wished for.

At Mile 9,410, Mom and I join up with Becca for yet another lap around the old block.  

Aside from Mom, Becca has been one of my biggest cheerleaders along this journey.  (And who can resist another Rebecca, anyway??)

Today, we stroll the grass-lined sidewalks.  Hike up and down the cul-de-sac.  

When we walk, we call the houses by their original owners -- Remy's house, Susan's house, Ellen's house -- even though "new" families have lived in them for years. 

It seems crazy that we're ALL adults now!
 
On those long ago nights of hide-and-go-seek, this "block" was the biggest world we could envision.  

On those long ago Halloweens, none of us could have guessed who we'd really turn out to be...




Don't get me wrong.  It wasn't easy street.  There have been difficult twists in each one of our journeys.

Yet, here we are.  

Still walking!

This neighborhood ties us together, even with friends who have moved away.

They say you can't go back, but really you can.

And if you're lucky (like I am), it's a stroll down memory lane.

Walk on!
Rebecca

5 comments:

  1. Thank *you* for an amazing childhood filled with games and jokes and plays and for still continuing to teach us so very much. <3 KT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You two were always my very best students, campers, actors, and kids... even long distance & grown up, you're still two of my very favorite people!! xo

      Delete
  2. It was really a fun neighborhood. So much so, that I'm still friendly with many of the originals. Of course the Levs go back further than Robbins Park. Love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think of you every time we pass your house. It's still "your" house, even if "new people" have lived there for decades! :) xo

      Delete