My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Talk It Out


Hello from Mile Marker 9,442...

Once upon a time, long before cell phones and Google, there was a low-tech college dorm.

And in that dorm, there were two rooms across the hall from each other.  

And in those rooms, there lived two just-turned-18-year-olds who (on paper at least) didn't have much in common...

They became friends anyway!

Life was simpler then.

Facebook was an actual "face-book."

And if you wanted to get to know someone, you had to talk to them.  IRL.

Wendy and I got good at it.  

Really good.

One time, we talked so long we closed a restaurant without even realizing we were the only table left!  (You know, back when restaurants were a thing.)

Ok, a lot has changed since then.  

We now live across the country instead of across the hall.

We used to talk all night.  Now we start before dinner.

That's progress, we think!

And about those cell phones... 

We're now big fans.

Remember the phrase, Walk it out?  

At Mile 9,442, Wendy and I take it one step further.  We talk it out.

Despite her Chicago wind gusts and my Philly drizzle...

We talk.
And listen. 
And encourage.  
And question. 
And support.
And empathize.
And laugh.
And cheer for each other.

No topic's too big or too small.
Nothing is off limits.

We still think it's better than Google!

With enough hours  -- and miles -- I'm pretty sure we could find our way to world peace.

Or at least inner peace :)

Do you have a traveling companion like that -- who can see where you're going and knows where you've been?

Walk it out. 
Talk it out.

See where the road takes you.

Walk on!
Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. I love this (and you) so much!!! Let's walk/talk it out again soon!!! <3

    ReplyDelete