My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Monday, April 12, 2021

Some Get Rained Out (and that's ok!)

Hello from the soggy sidewalks of Mile Marker 9,438...

I'll let you in on a secret:

Some get rained out.

Yep -- Throwin' it back to Mile 255.

Back then, I realized this rule applied to amputees and others with disabilities.  

But you know what?  

I think it applies to humans in general.

(Let me know if I'm on target here.)

For the record, I did get out for a quick walk at Mile 9,438.

It was wet and uncomfortable!

I wanted to give the day a chance, but from the moment I put on my leg, I knew it would be rough.

Some days just aren't walkable.

I've been an amputee for more than 10 years.  You'd think I would have mastered it by now.  

(Shhh.  Don't tell anyone.  I haven't.)  

Some days, my prosthesis feels too heavy, or too loose, or too "gappy" on the side.

Some days, the prosthetic socket is just too hard on my skin.

Some days, the nerves inside my little leg flash like out-of-sync Christmas lights.

ALL DAY LONG.

Some days get rained out.  (And that's ok!)

Maybe you have days like that too.  For whatever reason.

Maybe it helps to know we all do.

On those days, I remember walking is a luxury.   
That I can't -- and won't -- ever take it for granted.

On those days, we do what we can.

Back at Mile 255, the words of baseball great Satchel Paige echoed with every step:

You win a few, you lose a few.
Some get rained out.
But you got to dress for all of them.

(That last part is key.)

Tomorrow's another day.

And it's looking better already.*

Walk on!
Rebecca

*P.S.  Photo from the car - no wipers necessary :)

No comments:

Post a Comment