My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Friday, April 9, 2021

Do a Morning Mile

Good morning from Mile Marker 9,427...

...and my favorite walk of the day!

Most mornings I head out alone.  But for this challenge, I need a traveling companion.  

Luckily, I know exactly who to text.

"Are you out running?" 

There aren't many people who are available at sunrise, but Donna is definitely one of them.  

In fact, she's just finished her morning run.  Coincidentally, right outside my building! 

Ok. It's not quite a coincidence. 

We know each other's schedules. :)

Donna's cool-down is my warm-up.  So we meet in between -- on the sidewalk.   

Like a true early bird, she says,

"Wait, isn't everyone available at this time??"

I met Donna back in 2013, in a moment she describes as awkward, and I remember with absolute joy.

It hasn't stopped since.  The joy, I mean.

Donna joined my journey, and we haven't looked back!

Think Cookie Apocalypse.  

Think Farmers Markets.

Think decorated sidewalks!

Donna makes every mile more fun.

(The earlier, the better.)

Take Mile 9,427.

The day hasn't started yet, so there are no rules.  No agenda.  

We amble around the block,
backtrack for photos,
admire shop windows, 
and talk about neighbors we see everyday (but don't actually know).

We also stop to smell the flowers.

Years ago, I started walking morning miles.  

Most of the time, it's only one.  But it helps me check prosthetic fit.  Break-in new shoes.  See what kind of "leg day" it's going to be.  

Over time, it's turned into a practice.  Physically and mentally.

I enjoy morning miles on my own.  But I like them even better when "coincidence" brings us together.

The soft light...

...the empty sidewalks...

...a traveling companion who makes everything more fun...


...and of course, coffee!

Is there a better way to start the day?

Walk on!
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment