My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Be There

A lone cherry blossom in full bloom along the river.

Hello from Mile 9,422...

... on Kelly Drive! 

It's the most crowded place I've been in a year.  But with Rocco and Susan, I feel safe.  

That's why we call them my Secret Service :)

Long before the accident, we skated and biked together -- many times on this exact path.  We always watched out for each other.  Made sure none of us got hurt or left behind.

After my accident, they watched out for me even more...

On our very first outing, my parents dropped me off for brunch with the skate club.

A group of skaters with me in the center on crutches.  Rocco and Susan are in the front row.
My Secret Service (front row, center)
took over from there!

When I braved city streets again, they flanked me on either side, a buffer against any traffic danger.

A group of cyclists, with me in the front row, and Susan and Rocco on either side of me.
Ride of Silence 2013

On our trip to Chicago, Rocco lugged my swim leg all over O'Hare airport!

Rocco and Susan in the jetway of a plane.  Rocco is holding a large bag with my prosthetic inside.
Now that's (Secret) Service!

It's impossible to count how many miles we've been there for each other -- through graduations and job changes, surgeries and healing, new homes and holidays. 

When times feel uncertain, it's good to have friends who don't.

At Mile 9,422, we take another step together.  

Stroll past the boathouses.  Walk through stone archways.  Pass trees in full bloom. 

A blossoming tree hanging over a walking path by the river.


A bright poster catches all of our eyes.  Hey, I know that artist!

Me pointing to a poster that says "Spread Kindness Not Germs" and contains a colorful image of a black woman in a mask surrounded by clouds and a rainbow.
It's Marian (aka @mc_bailey) - 
who's always "been there" to catch me
at the climbing gym!

Just for kicks, we hop on some rock.  I pull a power move. 

Me awkwardly hanging from a ledge on the rock.
And about a thousand muscles! (LOL)

Rocco making a muscle with his arm while climbing a rock.
Yep, still got it!

Kelly Drive was the site of my very first mile.  And last March, as the pandemic set in, I returned here seeking direction.

On both those walks, I could hardly consider the future.  

But today, it seems full of possibility. 

If there's one thing we've learned together, it's that you can't know what lies ahead.  

All you can do is proceed with appropriate caution.  

And look forward with HOPE.

Is there a place you want to be?
People you want to be with?

Buckle your helmet.  Strap on your mask.  Grab your Secret Service.

A selfie of Susan, me, and Rocco with our masks.  Smiling.
And smile!
Be safe.  Be there.

Walk on!
Rebecca


No comments:

Post a Comment