My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Monday, April 5, 2021

Take Sunday (or One Day) Off

Hello (and yawn) from Mile Marker 9,414...

...Be like Toby the Beagle.

Tradition says we rest on the 7th day, but already, on Day 4, I need a breather.

Did you know an above-knee amputee uses 60% more energy to walk than a person with two legs?  

Yep.  It's like driving a car with a half-size gas tank...

(So I'm gonna rest 60% sooner!)

But resting doesn't mean coming to a complete halt.  

It just means coasting for a while -- with a comfortable traveling companion.  A friend who's fine going everywhere (or nowhere) while we chat about everything (or nothing).

Do you have a friend like that?

Meet Marla -- my BFF since age 13.  She's also the mom of two boys, and a super chill dog named Toby.  

We go way back --
even before my old Honda started counting miles!

As adults, we've been separated by distance.  So every year, except this last one, we've planned a weekend together.

Like 4 hours in Baltimore.

Or 10 days in Austria.

We use the term "weekend" loosely :)

At Mile 9,414, I take a day off from the rush of this challenge.  

And Marla joins me for a virtual walk.  

Of course, I'm running late.  

But when I say I need 10 minutes for "leg issues," Marla doesn't bat an eye.  She knows -- even on a rest day -- I can't escape my body and the adjustments it needs to keep going. 

Anyhow, what's 10 minutes in over three decades of friendship?

Finally we head out to our separate sidewalks.

Mine in Old City.  Hers in the St. Louis suburbs.

Along the way, we talk about everything -- and nothing at all.

We keep talking long after the walk ends.  In total, we cover 2 miles and...

2 1/2 hours of catching up!

My tank is full.

Is your energy running low?  

Take Sunday (or one day) off.  Invite your easiest traveling companion.

And coast anywhere.

Or nowhere at all.

Walk on!
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment