My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Thursday, January 19, 2023

Acts of Resilience


Even from bed, I can hear that the streets are wet.

My apartment is cozy.  My socks are dry.  And (eventually) I'm dressed for work.

My phone says 100% chance of rain.  

I don't want to get soaked, so I decide it's too wet to walk.

There's always a tiny sense of failure in this decision.  While I want to stay dry, I know my leg will fit better -- and my body will FEEL better -- if I get out there.

To walk or not to walk??  

Final test:  I peer down from the living room window at the cars driving by below.

Wipers are... OFF!


My red boots and navy blue raincoat against the wet bricks of the sidewalk.
Walk is ON!

Superhero boots?  Check.
Long raincoat?  Check.
Umbrella?  Check.  (Awkward to carry, but good to have just in case!)  

Truth -- By the time I reach the sidewalk, it isn't raining much at all.  It's not even that puddle-y.

And the best surprise:  I'm not the only one out!

Mike the artist sits on his usual bench with a big red umbrella.  Friends Richard, John and Carol are at their regular perch in the window of Starbucks.  (I knock and wave as I pass.  We see each other everyday!)

I've been thinking lately about acts of resistance and rebellion.  How, by pushing my own limits, I seem to push back on society's idea of what it means to be "disabled" -- or "able."

Morning miles are one example.  On a very tiny scale.

For an above-knee amputee, walking takes 60-100% more energy than it does for a person with 2 legs.  That means by the end (or even the middle) of the day, I might not have enough left in the tank.

But at 7 AM?  I'm game!

On the way back, the message in this shop window catches my eye.  And I realize what I'm doing isn't quite an act of resistance -- or rebellion.

The view in a store window:  Two statue heads blowing pink bubbles of gum, with the caption, "Art of Resilience."
It's an act of RESILIENCE.

We all need a few short minutes each day to fill our superhero boots -- and take on the world.

These are mine.


11 comments:

  1. You are a super example of resilience. You just keep going and inspire us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a fabulous human being hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. superhero boots would look good on Mom and Aunt Patti too! more hugs.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness we superheroes take care of each other. Hugs back - and thanks for all you do! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I surround myself with resilience (our group included!) and that gives my own resilience a much needed booster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Resistance and rebellion vs resilience - hm, I don't think I have ever really stopped to note the differences, but yes, you're right, out of three I'd like to be the most resilient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate words, and their subtle differences, and I know you do too!

      Delete