My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Saturday, January 21, 2023

Got Vision?

A work-in-progress collage of magazine pictures and words.

Yesterday our amputee support group created "vision boards" for 2023.  

Of course, I had to overthink mine.  (This goes without saying.)

So I carted the pieces home in a Ziploc bag.  

And later, over a mug of dark cocoa from Brazil -- thanks to my traveling friend Monica! -- I trimmed, and arranged, and almost glued them down.  

But not quite.

Even today I'm not yet ready to commit.  Every time I step away from the board, I come up with a new idea.

I have TOO MUCH vision.  There are so many paths I want to follow.  So many things I want to do!

There are have-to-do's.
And want-to-do's.
And can't-wait-to-do's....

I consider myself lucky.  This is good problem to have.  It means my health is okay.  It means I have support and all my basic needs are met.

My board is still a work in progress, but when I zoom out to view it on a yearly scale, I'm awed by the designs that emerge.  

Themes. Words. Images.
Hopes and dreams.  
Priorities and patterns.

I work to pin them down in a way that's motivating, harmonizing, and inclusive of all the things I love.  To create a picture that's inspiring, but also...maybe...possible??

Assorted cut outs of pictures and words against a wooden coffee table.
Uh-oh.
Where do I put the pieces that won't fit?

Time and energy are precious resources for all of us, but especially for those with health issues or disability.

Each day I wake up hopeful that I'll find balance between the have-to-do's and want-to-do's.  I try to pace myself and take steps toward those can't-wait-to-do's and "big picture" goals.

This year will wear me down, I know.

But right now -- in January -- the vision shines brightest.

I look forward to gluing down the pieces, but I think it's the process of creating them I love most of all.

What's your vision for 2023??


4 comments:

  1. I feel that having dreams that seem too large is far better than having small ones. You accomplish what is possible without loafing around knowing that there is more to do afterwards...the left-overs give you a good start on next year vision....One has to make room for the unexpected! Gluing the pieces together may not be the best solution. What about a large magnetic board allowing adaptation? But the gluing allows transportation and sharing with others who will, no doubt, be inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Cécile! I feel the same way. The more ideas I have, the more ideas I get! Creativity sparks creativity. I love the idea of a magnetic board, but I might spend my days moving the pieces around and never starting on anything! :)

      Delete
  2. I tend to overthink as well, so I can surely relate to some of this! My vision for 2023 is, in general, to be responsive to change in ways that benefit myself and those around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always joke that "flexibility" is my middle name (because maybe, eventually, if I say it enough, some of that joke will rub off on me!), so I love the idea of being "responsive to change" in better ways. It's so interesting the way we capture our own visions in words!

      Delete