My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Allez!

Twelve years ago this week, I wrote a little post called Go!

My brother Mark and me, and his dog Jack, standing on Kelly Drive on my very first mile on July 9, 2011.
July 9, 2011

See that look on my face?  

That cautious smile of joy and relief.  After 8 long months of recovery and rebuilding, I had finally reached the start of a new journey.

I thought those first steps would propel me full speed ahead.  I thought I already had the hang of it.

Little did I know, we don't face the starting line just once.  

We step up to it day after day after day... (x 12 years and counting!)

Now, as I pass Go for the dozenth time, I'm preparing for yet another change in direction. 

My friends joke that I'm in training for the Tour de France.  

And they're not far off.

Soon, I'll be embarking on a travel writing course -- in PARIS!

(Remember author Rolf Potts who inspired Mile 9,393?  He's teaching it!)  

It's true.  I have been training for this.  

Walking longer and farther.    
Adjusting my prosthetic socket.
Doing PT exercises to aid my digestion.

This whole year, I've been working to get my body (and hardware) in shape to keep up with "able-bodied" classmates while trekking around Paris in the summer heat.

Of course, as I near the finish line, plans unravel.

My body reacts terribly to a new medication.  My prosthesis clicks and beeps in all the wrong places.  Even my household appliances are on the fritz...

Help!  I need a sign.  (Or maybe fewer signs!)

Enter the Tour de France.

A selfie of me in front of my small TV, wearing a Tour de France shirt.
(The real one!)

I'm just a spectator, but I take its lessons to heart.

These riders are the best of the best.  They've dreamed and trained and, in many cases, crawled their way back from life-threatening injuries to qualify for this epic race -- 21 stages in 23 days -- the most challenging event in professional cycling.  

I see their steepest climbs and sharpest descents.  I cringe when they crash.  I watch with wonder as they get back on their bikes.

There are 22 teams.  
Which means 22+ strategies.  
Which means their plans unravel too,  
Often as they near the finish line. 

They just pedal harder.

Each stage ends in utter exhaustion.   

And then -- in the blazing sun of the next day -- the riders take their places at another starting line ALL OVER AGAIN.

They know nothing of me -- with my little Peacock subscription and my even smaller TV screen.  I'm just another fan watching from afar, a former biker, shouting Allez! from my couch in Philly.

And yet, I feel connected.  

It's their RESILIENCE that resonates most.

I'm amazed how they step up to that start line and embrace a new "stage" -- day after day after day.

It's been 12 years, and I'm approaching 12,000 MILES on a prosthetic leg. 

A spread of France books and maps on my coffee table, including a map of the Tour de France route.
Journey willing, that start line will be Paris!

And if I'm lucky, I'll watch those riders from the sidelines -- as they sprint toward the finish of their final stage -- and I'll be shouting Allez! in person.

I'll send you a postcard. 

Allez!
Rebecca
My feet on the sidewalk with a spraypaint of the words "Take Risks."
P.S.  I found a sign :)

12 comments:

  1. ❤️❤️ Bon Voyage❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Keep those steps coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, Rebecca! Enjoy and have a great time writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to your writing. Have a safe, amazing trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so wonderful & amazing! 💕🐌

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allez and ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allez and Enjoy! (posted anonymously above, so reposting under my name)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO cool! What an amazing trip -- and class! Hope you will be able to enjoy every minute! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. A dream trip for an amazing person!!! Allez allez! Cheering you on! Definitely get me a souvenir 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great opportunity! Safe travels and enjoy all the sights and sounds of Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ricki, how exciting! Can’t wait to hear about this new adventure! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ricki, this message is so inspiring in so many ways and I thank you for it! And hello! It’s been a while….

    ReplyDelete