My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Saturday, February 4, 2023

Climb Mount Fuji

My friend Kim is climbing Mount Fuji.

Kim giving a thumbs-up on a hiking trail with Japanese signs pointing out the trail into the trees.
For real!

I'm following her journey as I recite the 9's times tables.

No, it's not a dream.  Although it definitely sounds like one.

On the same morning Kim starts her climb -- or more accurately the night after (It's 9:30 PM in Japan!) -- I start my usual walk around the block. 

It's cool and drizzly here in Philly.  The sidewalks are flat and mostly "hike-able," except for a construction zone or two.

A selfie of me with a coffee cup on my morning walk in the city.
And thankfully, the coffee is hot!

I have never been to Japan, except if you count 3rd grade.

We studied Japan that year.

Our classroom had a bulletin board displaying a mountain of blue-gray construction paper, surrounded by clouds.  In the sky above the scene, the board proclaimed:

A landscape photo of snow-capped Mount Fuji, surrounded by clouds, with roads and countryside in the foreground.
CLIMB MT. FUJI

That was also the year we learned multiplication.

Each day, we took a one-minute speed quiz.  

First the 1's,
Then the 2's,
Then the 3's,
And so on...

As we "passed" each times table, our names would hike up a notch along the slope of Mt. Fuji.  Day after day, we raced our classmates toward the summit.  In those days, rote memorization (and healthy competition) were par for the course!

I climbed steadily till I hit the 9's. 

The 9's were my nemesis.

It's been years since I've thought about that challenge, but when Kim messages me from Japan, it all comes rushing back.  

For me, climbing Mount Fuji will forever be associated with the times tables.

It's like a short circuit, or a trapdoor of memory.  

Fun to jump through... but why??

In the unlikely event I ever DO climb Mount Fuji, I'm pretty sure I'll have other things on my mind.  You know... real, useful things.

Like sweat in my prosthetic liner.
Pressure points on my skin.
My prosthesis coming loose.
Stress on my right foot.
And trying not to fall.

But for now, this strange link is a fun diversion on an otherwise unremarkable day.  

It's a way keep up with my friends.  To travel, in space and time, without all the fuss!

No need to take time off.  
No packing necessary.  
No health issues to worry about at all.

So as I take my short walk, I imagine myself trudging up Mount Fuji alongside Kim in Japan.

9x5 = 45
9x6 = 54
9x7 = 63...

(Happy to report I now have the 9's down pat.)

Kim sticking out her tongue with Mount Fuji in the background.
Thanks for the inspo, Kim!

I'm right there with ya!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Great post. I sadly have to correct you as you are giving me way too much credit. I hiked a small mountain, a hill in comparison, across from Fuji. I was gazing longingly at Fuji wanting to hike it in the summer! There’s snow up in that there mountain! Well, I think there’s always snow. So I guess we are going to wish to hike Fuji together. Ha ha ha. Thanks for including me in your post! It’s an honor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t know I’d be anonymous. So, the above comment is from THE Kim! Ha ha ha

      Delete
    2. To THE Kim -- Hahaha! Well, running off to Japan and even GAZING at Mt. Fuji sure beats my 3rd grade bulletin board! :) I love following your travels, and hope to one day join you somewhere!! In the meantime, thanks for making me feel like I'm right there with ya!

      Delete
  2. Great story :) I always had trouble with the 8s

    ReplyDelete