My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Steppin' Out -- NYC

To seek renewal, maybe you'd go to the spa.

A view of a busy NY sidewalk from under scaffolding, with lights from the buildings including Radio City Music Hall ahead.
I'm in New York City!

Really, this is better than a massage table, where I'd be lying with my eyes closed, dwelling on health issues and uncertainties, and all the things I should be doing (but can't quite manage) to keep pace with "normal" life.  

Better to be stepping out here -- onto this crazy-busy sidewalk -- nearly galloping to keep pace with my good friend Elaine, who's surprisingly city-wise for someone from Idaho!

We dodge traffic and people,
step on and off curbs, 
and in and out of elevators.

We catch the lights
as we catch up on conversation.

It's invigorating
and exciting
and exhilarating
and exhausting (in all the best ways!).


The Museum of Modern Art, with a rainbow painting hanging on a white wall, people in bright colors scattered below, and a stairwell above, with a single woman ascending.

At MoMA, we hunt down the original Starry Night.

My friend Elaine, smiling with excitement, next to the painting of Van Gogh's Starry Night.

At Chelsea Market, we stalk an Israeli food stand till it opens.

Me, sitting at a wooden table, holding a coffee cup, with an Israeli food spread (pita, cauliflower) in front of me.

At the Strand, we get lost in the stacks.

A selfie of me and Elaine, smiling, outside the red awning of Strand Bookstore.

Then, on the way back to the train station, we stumble onto this spot...

A patch of sidewalk that says in chalk, "Screaming Spot."
...Oh YES, we do!


New York City is only 2 hours from Philly.  

But for me, it doesn't feel like an easy journey.  It's been years since I've traveled anywhere, especially on my own.

The night before, I reduce what I'll have to carry -- discarding extra clothes in favor of crutches and emergency items for any "body breakdown" I can imagine.  (And then, in imagining those breakdowns, I almost cancel the trip!)

On the way there, I obsess about sitting on metal benches at the train station and climbing in and out of cabs, obstacles that can disrupt even the best of leg days.

A selfie of me, wearing a mask, looking anxious on a metal bench at the Hamilton NJ train station.
With the weight of worry,
it's a wonder I go anywhere at all!

But when I finally meet up with Elaine, those concerns fade into the backdrop of city noise.

Elaine keeps me in the moment.  She approaches challenge with curiosity.  She takes travel adventures (and mishaps!) in stride.  We've known each other a long time, and it's just so FUN to be together again.

I can't keep this pace forever, but for 24 hours, it's worth a try!

At the Strand, we both find books that call to us.

For me, it's a book of photography by Vivienne Gucwa, a NYC resident who, back in 2009, began walking the city as a way to deal with stress, and along the way, found renewal through the lens of her camera.   

The bookcover of "NY through the Lens" above a bag from the Strand, sitting on my lap on the train.
On the train ride home, 
her words and images resonate with me.

This little trip helps me dust off some of my own "lenses" too -- ones I'd almost forgotten I had.

The harnessing of courage.  
The joy of taking risks.
The irreplaceable comfort of friendship.

A selfie of me and Elaine holding coffee cups with a funny cartoon "grumpy" face on the wall behind us.

And the pure, life-changing power of steppin' out.


5 comments:

  1. NYC!!!!! I miss it so much. Electric all day and night, you feel like you can do anything when you walk those streets. Many of my own milestones happened there. I loved hearing your experience, it energized me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to hear more about your NYC adventures!! It definitely has a buzzing energy that's different from anywhere else! When I'm there, I always find myself describing Philly as a small town. :)

      Delete
  2. Haha - I toured the Statue of Liberty and was the first one off the boat, I ran inside and was super early, all the employees were like, "oh, are we open now?" I sprinted up the stairs to the top and had the whole head to myself for like 20 min, just me and two tour guides. They showed me some really cool things. I really miss living there. Maybe one day we'll be back!

    ReplyDelete