My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Sunday, March 5, 2023

Happy 13th Riley!

If you want to measure time and distance, just watch a child grow up.

In November 2010, when my sister Sam got the call that I'd been critically injured in an accident, she plopped my then 8-month-old niece, Riley, into a car seat and embarked on an unplanned 400-mile road trip from Vermont to Philly.  

In the months that followed, they retraced that trip together many times.  

Riley became quite the seasoned traveler.  She even sneaked into the hospital to keep my spirits up.

My sister Sam holding Riley by my hospital bed.  I'm sitting up smiling.

Back then, she was nowhere near the minimum visitor age of 13.  

My sister holding baby Riley in front of a sign that says visitors must be 13 or older.  Below, my brother wrote a caption "Breaking the law."
What a rebel!


As I made progress, we wondered who'd walk first -- me or Riley.

I'm holding 15 month old Riley's hand, walking along the sidewalk with my prosthetic.
At Mile 15, it was too close to call.


Riley grew up with me as an amputee.  

She was perceptive.  No one had to tell her.  She just figured it out on her own.

In preschool, her class learned about the human body.  You know how that lesson goes...

Everyone has two eyes,
two ears,
two arms,
two hands...

But when the teacher got to the part about "two legs," Riley piped up.

"Not everyone has two legs," she announced.  "My aunt only has one."

The teacher was a bit embarrassed.  

Me and 3 year old Riley, standing in a parking lot, wearing matching bicycle dresses.
I was thrilled. :)


Today is Riley's birthday.  She's 13!

She is smart and sarcastic and all the things a brand new teenager should be.

She plays basketball.  Wears makeup.  Loves hanging out with her friends.  

Shopping is her favorite pastime.  (She gets that part from me!)

At 13, Riley is way cooler than I ever was.

A selfie of me and my niece, using a mustache filter from Snapchat.
And I'm just fine with that!

We've crossed a lot of time and distance together. 

I don't think about it everyday.  Usually I'm just her aunt.  And she's my niece.  But once in a while -- on milestone days like today -- I stop and take a look around.

Watching Riley grow up has been like a measuring stick for my own journey.

It's amazing to look back at where we've been.  

But it's even more fun to look ahead -- and imagine where we might go.


2 comments:

  1. Very sweet post :) Where do you imagine you two may go next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Our latest ventures have been shopping (ah, teenagers!). It's how I maintain my "cool aunt" status. But hopefully we'll travel farther in the future!

      Delete