My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Spring Signs (a little poem)

In Old City
spring lights up the trees
and fire escapes.

A city sidewalk, and an iron fire escape the distance, silhouetted by the rising sun.

And construction zones.  
And moving vans too.
So watch your step.

It's in the hats and gloves
and the morning chill
as café owners set tables on the sidewalk.

In spring it seems
everyone smiles more.
Even this early.
Even on a Tuesday.

And at OCC (my favorite stop), there's a special drink in the air --
a violet tea latte,
which I'll sample sometime soon
on a warm afternoon.

When you walk the same path every day, 
you notice the smallest changes.

A tree with white buds lit by the early morning sun shining through it.
These are mine.

What subtle signs of spring are on your well-traveled route?

5 comments:

  1. Ah, Yes, springtime, an amazing time of year. My sign is not so much subtle as it is universal yet easily overlooked: The vernal equinox when the Sun crosses the celestial equator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem heralding spring, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TheAirlines Phone Numbers
    +1 888-660-0563 is a dedicated line for customers and potential customers to get in touch with the airline. It is a way for travelers to book a flight, get information about flight status, and seek customer support. The airlines' phone number can be found on the airline's website, in travel guides, or on travel-related websites.

    ReplyDelete