My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Art Walk

Walk 2 blocks.

That's what we did.

We simply walked east instead of west, as we usually do.

Of course, like always, it's not quite as simple as it sounds.  To venture off the beaten path -- to walk those 2 blocks east -- involves a downhill slope, a kind of shadowy underpass, and a stretch of sidewalk that's a bit more isolated than I like.

An underpass with a botanical mural along the wall, featuring a white flower in the center surrounded by large green leaves.
The city has tried to make it more palatable.
(And safer!)

Technically it's well-lit and filled with car traffic, but for an above-knee amputee like me, walking down here alone still feels vulnerable.  I'm more comfortable sticking to my usual route around the neighborhood.

Everything's easier with a friend though.  (Thanks walking buddy, Jasmine!)

Before we know it, we emerge onto the sidewalk along the Delaware River.  

A sculpture of metallic spheres against the blue sky.  Jasmine and I are mirrored (very tiny) in each sphere.
Can you see us??

There, we're embraced by all kinds of ART!

A colorful mural called "Trends of Change" which features a rainbow of colors, banners, and sayings about changes Philadelphians want to see.  A few include "Acceptance of everyone," "No guns," "Less homelessness," and "More listening."
I'm especially taken with this piece by
Becky McIntyre  -- and the Philly community!

Cherry Street Pier is a century-old industrial pier that juts out into the river.

It's been rehabbed into a public art space with studios and workshops,

The back wall of a deep industrial space, on which is a yellow and orange painting of a man and woman locked in embrace.
 rotating exhibits
like this one by Athena Astraea,

A stark industrial pier, that has a tower halfway down, painted with a colorful abstract mural.
and murals by local artists.

The bottom of a bench which is painted with an eye, a heart, and the word YOUS.
Philly style --
"Yous" know what I mean :)

I've been to events here before, but it's my first time wandering around for no reason at all.

On this Sunday afternoon, it's quiet and open -- an array of colors, metal, and glass.   Art is EVERYWHERE.

The roof of an old stone pier, which is open with metal beams criss-crossing in front of a cloud-filled blue sky.
It's in the structure and shapes,
the well-worn stone, 
and the deep cerulean sky.

I recently read this quote by author Gretchen Rubin:

We can walk into any room and call it a museum.

I couldn't agree more, but I'd take it one step further...

We can walk out of any room too.

To sidewalks
and waterfronts
and cityscapes
and community spaces.

A close up of a light post, with a sticker that reads "You are not alone."
You never know what you'll find.


About a year into the pandemic, I wrote a post called Walk Until Your Day Becomes Interesting, inspired by one of my favorite travel writers, Rolf Potts.

Back then, I was trying to conjure up a new adventure.  And though I never quite reached the goal I set out for in that particular post, I still love -- and live by -- this philosophy.

Walks are interesting.  Exploration can be its own reward.   

Go ahead.  Walk 2 blocks.  

You don't have to wander far.  (I rarely do!)

Just keep your eyes...or ears...or mind... open to whatever you find.

Me, arms extended, standing in front of a heart on a stone wall that says "You made it."
And then, stop and enjoy the view!

(Jodie, I thought of you a thousand times on this walk!  Can't wait till we can walk together. xo)

9 comments:

  1. Oh, how I do miss Philly and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Art Walk!!
    I also look forward to walking with you one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I know you'd notice even MORE art, shapes, and structures than I do!! I look forward to learning from you as we go! :)

      Delete
  3. I miss my walks with your Mom and you…..hopefully in a few weeks I will be capable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We miss you too. We've been off our rhythm for a while because of the cold, but temps are warming and we can't wait to walk as a threesome again! xo

      Delete
  4. I definitely agree with you on this one! I notice something new every time I walk around my neighborhood. What was your favorite art piece that you saw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite had to be the "You Made It" heart on the back wall of the pier. I love when art imitates life, and those ragged edges are often the way I feel when I finally "make it" somewhere! Mona and I were talking about exploring YOUR neighborhood for some art! You'll have to point us in an interesting direction!

      Delete
    2. I like those heart ones, too, there are some around Main Street. Definitely a cool place to explore!

      Delete