My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Friday, March 17, 2023

A Garden and A Library

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

A garden of pink, yellow, and purple flowers with a page from a book as the background wall.  On the page, it says, "She lost herself within the pages of the story and discovered a garden filled with possibilities."
This week, I had both!

The Philadelphia Flower Show and the Free Library of Philadelphia -- a perfect combination to kick-off the season.

A shower of plants and colored lights hanging from the ceiling like a huge waterfall chandelier.

Here in Philly, the Flower Show curtails the end of winter.  

A display of mannequins made of flowers, with heads of disco balls.  Disco balls also hang in the air above.
(Even if disco lives on!)

Stepping from the blustery March sidewalk into the warmth of the Convention Center is a sure sign of greener days to come.

A lavender colored daisy-like flower with a yellow middle, leaning over a stone wall.
It's a rainbow of scent,

A garden with a painter's easel in the foreground, which holds a painting of the same garden.
and color,

A display of plants and round mirrors in shades of blue and green.
and inspiration!

But a library -- isn't that for all-seasons?

Technically yes.  But our local branch is only open limited hours these days.  So when I step out of a doctor's appointment which happens to be across the street... 

I'm standing outside the library, holding up a DVD to return!
...I hit the "open-hours' jackpot!

I wander through the library stacks the same way I wandered through the Flower Show just days earlier -- awed by the creativity, the variety, and the pure potential in so many volumes (and so many stems!) all in one place.  

I check out a French documentary called Louvre City.  Anything about France, like reading in general, transports me to a place of hope and renewal!

Winter into spring is always a tough transition. 

I recently began working with a specialized PT to help with digestive issues.  And just today, I started the long process of breaking in a new prosthetic liner.  

I'm trying to walk more.  
Improve my stamina.  
Get back into shape.

It's like pushing up through the frozen soil or -- if you're more of a reader than a gardener -- it's like trying to write a novel, one keystroke at a time.

I finish off the week with a quiche of spring flavors.  Fresh herbs?  A trip to France?

A quiche with tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella.
It's like a garden + library in one!

Happy Spring -- and Happy "St. Patti's" Day (as we say in our family)!

May your garden be healthy.
May your library be open and full.
May you have everything you need.

And may you walk safely -- even on the windiest of days!


7 comments:

  1. I love libraries! I've seen some really great lectures here in Philly at some of the local branches. I've never been to the flower show, but I certainly enjoy the many parks and public gardens around my home. Do you have a favorite flower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around this time of year, I'm crazy about hyacinths, daffs, and tulips, but my all-time favorite is sunflowers. :) I need to get my park pass in order so we can do some spring exploring!!

      Delete
  2. Every year I keep telling myself that I will attend the Flower Show to take pictures. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kofla, it's a fabulous photo opportunity!! The indoor lighting makes it a little more challenging, but with your expertise, I know you could get some amazing shots!

      Delete
  3. Love this especially St. Patti’s Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete