My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Thanks St. Joe's!

Potential.

That's what I see as I stand in front of all these physical therapy students at St. Joseph's University today.

A group of PT students with me in the front.
They're going to change lives!

To this amazing group...

Thank you for listening to my story and asking such thoughtful questions. 

But thanks, most of all, for setting your goals to become physical therapists.

It's impossible to put into words all the ways my own PTs supported me along this journey.  They changed my life.  And they were truly my guides -- every step of the way.

(Including an awesome PT student
named Colleen!)

I could never have done it without them!

When I look out at all of you, I envision ALL the future patients who'll achieve their goals because you achieved yours.

Best of luck with your classes and clinicals.  

I can't wait to see the difference you'll make!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for putting yourself out there and sharing your story with these students. I've interacted with a fair number of physical therapists, and some are just straight up mean or impatient or offensive or otherwise unwilling to put in the time needed to truly help their client. I wonder if they would have been a little more understanding if they had someone like you way back when they were first in school. There's no doubt you inspire many.

    ReplyDelete