My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Wednesday, February 1, 2023

My Favorite Kind of Snow

...Is this kind.

The kind that settles lightly on car windshields, but leaves the sidewalks bare.  The kind that's soft and powdery, like the dust of sugar on cookies.  

Like someone decorated the city just for me.  (And maybe they did!)

A brick wall with a dusting of snow, in which the message "Buenos Dias" has been traced out.
GRACIAS :)

As a solo traveler and above-knee amputee, I'm especially cautious in the winter.  I fear snow, ice, wind, and all the hazards that come along with them.  

Really, anything could take me down.  

And, if I go down, my independence goes down with me.  (This gets complicated when you live on your own!)

Snow makes everything more difficult.  It lingers in the city, restricting my ability to run errands, step off curbs, and even park my car.

Long after it's clear enough for "most people," snow continues to confine me at home.

A black iron gate, and beyond it, the snow covered garden behind Christ Church.
But not this kind!

Today the pavement is drying.  The puddles in the street are liquid, not ice.  

And bonus -- as I start down the sidewalk, a familiar voice calls out my name.

Running into Donna makes even the smallest walk BIG FUN.

A selfie of me and Donna, holding up coffee cups, wearing Flyers and Eagles hats, in front of a snowy Independence Hall.
Go Eagles!  Go Flyers!

Good vibes, Philly!

For me, this kind of snow is an unexpected win.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I was thankful when I caught this same light dusting in action. I woke up around 5:30 AM as I normally do and looked out from my deck window to see the most glimmering and peaceful snowfall under the streetlight beams. It was a pretty sight. I was happy to be there and then watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I think everything looks better in the early morning - even snow. I can imagine it on the rail of your balcony and the branches of your tree. Ah, city life! :)

      Delete