My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Friday, May 12, 2023

A Better Place to Be

Newport, Rhode Island could be the set of a Hallmark movie.

From our table at the Corner Café, Natalie and I get a peek behind the scenes.

The interior of the Corner Café, a sunny restaurant with lots of windows, wood trim, hanging lamps, and wooden tables and chairs.

Just off camera:  Three middle school moms sneaking out early while their teens are still in bed.  A young bearded guy on a barstool.  A woman with 2 little girls in ribbons and party dresses.  And a wrinkle-clothed regular who shuffles out for a smoke while his breakfast is cooking. 

It's Sunday, 7:30 AM, and we're surrounded by locals.

What are their lives like here?  
Why are they out so early on a weekend? 

As we wait for our eggs, Nat and I write the script.  We imagine who they are, why they're here today -- and what brings them together at this little breakfast spot across from the local school.

It's fun.  Relaxing.  And I'm happy to be here among them.

Travel is tricky for me, especially in the mornings.  Which makes this moment -- the mug of coffee, the sticky jam, the thick multigrain toast -- an extra special treat. 

It's the end of our weekend in Newport and, like any good Hallmark movie, the town has pulled us in for a hug.

Last night we met a student from the yacht-building academy, who happened to be our waiter at Knot Norm's.

A wooden bowl with brightly colored pickled-veggies, over rice, with a huge serving of lobster and a lemon on top.
He introduced us to the "lobster bowl."
(Not roll!)

Before that, we met Lew, a science teacher from Northeast Philly, who has settled in Newport for his retirement.   

Natalie and I standing in the colonial-era synagogue with the "bima" and ark behind us.
He gave us a history lesson
at the 
Touro Synagogue!  

And because we're us, we also took ourselves on a tour of the library

Natalie is making herself comfortable in a reading chair by a window, pretending to read a book by Louise Erdrich.
It's the Redwood --
I'm sitting in the children's room of the Redwood Library, holding up two books I read as a kid: "A Wrinkle in Time" and "What's Happening to Me."
one of the oldest in the country!

In 2 short days, we've made ourselves at home here -- mansions and all.

I'm standing inside an opulent mansion, on an upstairs balcony, pretending I own the place (LOL).
I could get used to this. :)


And why not?

The air smells like seafood and campfires. 
Church bells chime on the hour.

Cars come to a stop at every crosswalk. 
And there's water anywhere we wander.  

We give up trying to figure out which waves are which...

Sunset on the water with sailboats on a dock in the foreground.
...and just enjoy the splash of sunset.

Days flow better here.  

Sunrise is 20 minutes earlier.  (Really!)

And red leaves abound, making spring feel like fall.  

A bright red leafed maple tree against a blue sky.
We call them "Newport Maples."

We can't get enough.  It's like a show we want to binge-watch, yet savor at the same time.

We shop at a local bookstore.  
Meet a local artist.  
Become regulars at the local coffee place.

I'm standing in Empire Coffee and Tea, holding a medium coffee to-go cup, first thing in the morning.
Where we sample the local drink, of course --
Natalie holding up a refrigerated bottle of Coffee Milk.
Coffee Milk!

We even learn what the local pineapple symbol means...

A selfie of Natalie and me, smiling, in front of the painting of a pineapple wearing sunglasses on a store sign.
Hospitality!

Newport is not perfect -- or easy.   Nowhere is.  

Even with trekking poles, I can only manage a small portion of the Cliffwalk.  I get too hot too fast.  I nearly sweat out of my leg and die of thirst along the way. 

I'm standing on a paved path by a railing, with trekking poles in hand, looking hot and frazzled.  The water is behind me on one side, and grassland is on the other.
(Ok, exaggerating a bit...
but it's not my finest moment!)

That's just one example.  

I feel slow and "stumbly" a lot of the time.  Throughout the weekend, we stop so I can tend to leg adjustments and other physical needs.

In that way, it reminds me of a different road trip many miles ago -- back at Mile 21 -- my first time traveling after my amputation.  

Back then, I had the idea that if I just practiced enough, I'd somehow find my way to a better place -- to where I was before the accident.

My gait (and feelings) have evolved over time, but I still grapple with similar challenges.  

Now, I've realized, they're just part of the journey.


In an instant, we're back home, and that harbor breeze is just a memory.  

Philly turns hot and sticky. 
My right foot doesn't feel right.

And at 10 PM, the city launches a new construction project, sending a monsoon of dust and gravel into my beloved balcony garden.

I lie in bed and imagine moving to Newport.

I know, I know.  I'm sure reality would catch up with me there too.

Natalie and I standing on a grassy patch in front of blue water, with clouds above us.
Eventually.

Maybe Nat and I will put our heads together and write that screenplay.  Or maybe the Corner Café will be the setting for my next novel.

I like to think of our characters back there in Newport, still living their lives.  Kinda wish I could join them.

Who wouldn't want to step inside a Hallmark movie?

I'm standing on the edge of a dock, trying to "catch" the setting sun in my hands.
It's just a better place to be.

P.S.  Writing this postcard made me think of this song by Harry Chapin.  It's not about Rhode Island, but it's a sweet story - and one of my faves.  If you need an 8-minute vacation, give it a listen. :)  

The last light of sunset down a small town Newport street.
Happy travels!

3 comments:

  1. Newport Rhode Island is one of my favorite beaches in the United States.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Now it is one of mine too! :)

      Delete
  2. "And there's water anywhere we wander..." - great line, I love this one. Your intro made me picture Lukes Diner from "Gilmore Girls". How is the book going????

    ReplyDelete