My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

News from the Balcony

-- Newsflash --

My "June-blooming strawberry" has a jumpstart on the season!

A close-up of a strawberry, just turning red, surrounded by a few that are still green, in a red flower box on a balcony rail with city buildings and sky in the background.

As a late-bloomer myself, I'm impressed I even planted it before June!

Squished into a flower box 4 inches wide, hanging 3 stories above the city street, I wasn't even sure it would survive.  

Add to that...
swinging spring temps, 
soggy soil, 
rain for days.

Yet against all odds, it's thriving.  And early!!

Maybe it's a sign -- Should I turn over a new leaf too?  Maybe I'll too be an "early bird" from now on!

(If you know me, you're probably laughing.)

Truth is, I exist in time differently.

This spring, I've been searching for my body's own rhythms.  

Trying to accept them. Work with them.
Move in harmony with the way things are.
And discover my own pace along the way.

So for now, I'll just bloom where I'm planted.  

Consider the sweetness to come.

And enjoy the view!

A selfie of me on the balcony at night.  I have my hood up and am holding a mug that looks like an owl.  Behind me is the red flower box, lit with twinkle lights against the dark sky..
Happy May!

1 comment:

  1. "I'll just bloom where I'm planted" - Great message, thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete