My road came to an unexpected halt on November 9, 2010.

That morning, I was bicycling to work when a garbage truck turned across a city bike lane. I was in that bike lane.

A team of trauma surgeons saved my life, but they had to amputate my left leg. My body and life were forever changed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As I learned to walk again, I measured my recovery in steps and then miles. Over time that journey grew into something more -- a way of being in the world, wherever I go.

I am a person of ability and disability. I travel in the space between. These are my postcards.

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Stop the Bleed

May is National Trauma Survivors Month -- and guess what...

You can learn to help someone survive a traumatic injury like mine.

(Yes, really!)

It's called Stop the Bleed.

Now I know what you're thinking.  I, too, sat through middle school health class in the 1980's.

Back then, tourniquets were a big NO.
And dealing with blood??  
That was an even bigger NO.

But you should know (see what I did there?) these important life-saving measures aren't NOs anymore.

First aid and trauma care have evolved since then.  

I have it from a good source  -- actually the best source -- my Jefferson Trauma Team.  

It's okay to help in an emergency.  

In fact, it's RECOMMENDED.

I am putting a tourniquet on Nurse Nora's arm in front of our Stop the Bleed table.
And EVERYONE should know how!

Stop the Bleed is a nationwide campaign to teach ordinary bystanders how to help someone who's bleeding out.  

Maybe you're out hiking or rock climbing.  
Maybe you're walking through the city.  
Maybe you're waiting at a bus stop.

Our Stop the Bleed training table, containing a first aid kit, a tourniquet, and a t-shirt that says "This shirt can save a life."
With a little knowledge,
YOU can save the life of someone who's injured.

First -- CALL 911.  Make sure YOU are safe.

If the person is bleeding, apply pressure to the wound.  Both hands.  Shoulders strong.  Get down on your knees if you have to.

If the wound is wide and deep, pack it with gauze -- or whatever fabric you might have handy.  

Nurse Nora kneeling beside a foam model, in which a red t-shirt is packed into a fake wound.
Even a t-shirt will work.
(Trauma Nurse Nora taught me that!)

For arm or leg wounds, a tourniquet might be necessary.  Learn to use one

If bleeding is forceful or continuous, apply a tourniquet 2-3 inches above the wound or above the nearest joint.  (You can even make one from a cloth or belt.)

A volunteer putting a tourniquet on my right leg, as another volunteer looks on.

Then, stay with the person and wait for help to arrive.

A photo of me helping a volunteer learn to put a tourniquet on his own leg.


As as a traumatic injury survivor, I know what it's like when bystanders don't know what to do.  My accident occurred next to a bus stop with many commuters on their way to work.  Everyone watched.  

NO ONE stepped off the sidewalk to help.

I know what it's like to lie in the street, bleeding and frightened, waiting for an ambulance to arrive. 

In 3-5 minutes, a person can bleed out from a serious wound.

It can take an average of 7-10 minutes for first responders to arrive.

I have no way of knowing if my outcome would have been different if a bystander had stepped in to stop the bleed.  

But perhaps it would have been worth a try.

A graphic that says "Would you know what to do in case of a traumatic bleeding event?"  It also gives the statistics I list in the text above.

We can all learn the basics. Check out Stop the Bleed Project for more information.  

You can view a short video here.  
Or a longer video here.

This month, I learned the basics and joined the Jefferson Team to help educate the public. 

It was just my first step into this important cause.  More to come...

Nurses and other staff from Jefferson Trauma with me, standing in front of a Stop the Bleed training table at Jefferson train station.
ANYONE CAN BE A HERO.


P.S.  Stop the Bleed Kits and other first aid supplies are readily available - even on Amazon.


2 comments:

  1. Such an important message, thank you. In the past I have helped bystanders, and I hope to continue to be an asset to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When facing lost luggage while traveling, swiftly report to airline personnel. Fill a claim form, providing details. Stay patient as they track and return your belongings. Prioritize TRAVELpreparedness!

    ReplyDelete